Would you...?

Let your 14 year old daughter get her lip pierced?  Why or why not?

My aunt is letting my cousin get her lip pierced and she's 14 yrs old. Now, I have my lip pierced twice BUT I WAS 19 WHEN I GOT IT DONE! I don't believe she should be able to do it. She's having a friend do it so she doesn't have to go through the legalities at a shop.

The law where they live is that no person under the age of 18 can get a piercing (other than ear lobe) or tattoo. The next county over is only a person age 16 or older (with parental consent until they are no longer a minor) may get a piercing (other than ear lobe) or tattoo.

I just don't agree with her getting this done at until she's of legal age to do so and it's not only with that.. if she wants to "modify" her body then she can always dye her hair (legal at any age) or wear make-up (still legal at any age). Why do kids want to grow up so fast????

bdflykisses

Asked by bdflykisses at 9:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No, I wouldn't. People always say it's not permanent because it will grow back, but piercings do not always grow back! My kids aren't allowed to get any piercings except my daughter's ears one time or any tattoos until they move out of my house. Like it or not, the world does judge on appearances.

Answer by missanc at 9:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• No but that's just me. But what sort of message do you thing it sends out for someone to get their lip pierced?
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 10:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Nope. My kids can get whatever they want done when they are 18 and making their own decisions and paying for them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't let my kid, but since she isn't mine then I don't get a say. my only consern (sp?) is does this 'friend' have a license? is he/she qualified? will they have the proper tools? and will this 'friend' get into legal trouble for doing this? I would make sure she has her bases covered.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I would not let my child get anything but her ears pierced before the age of 18.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• @ lovedmybaby283, I know the person they are having do it and yes he does have a license, and yes he has the proper clean/sanitized/new tools, and he's very experienced since he does work at a shop (just doing this on the side). And YES he will get into legal trouble if anyone were to find out that he pierced a minor and reported it. It's just dumb all the way around IMO.
    bdflykisses

Comment by bdflykisses (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• HA! What's she going to do to rebel? Wear conservative clothing and get a mortgage?!?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• sounds to me that your aunt is wanting to be more of a friend then a mom right now, my mom did the same thing with me, she let me get my belly button pierced at the age 14 I dont know why lol
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• @my2boys0523, I totally agree... but a belly button piercing isn't in plain view like a lip piercing unless you want it to be. KWIM?
    bdflykisses

Comment by bdflykisses (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Nope! If my boys ever wanted to pierce any body part or get a tattoo I would tell them NO, I will not sign for it, or allow it to be done. I would tell them that it may seem like a 'cool' thing now.... but in a few years their attitude could change, and then they will be stuck with a tattoo they don't like, or "holes" in their body. I would tell them to keep thinking about it, and when they are 18 they are free to do what they will....and they will have to live with their choice!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2011