Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Learning a last name thats not on her bc?

Hi, My dd is 4 starting school in august, after registering her for school, i realize it will be some time before the adoption and name change goes through our court system, my question is will schools teach and call a child by my last name instead of the one on her birth certificate???

Answer Question

Asked by KimNKay at 10:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • possibly if you have the adotion paper work with you, but more than likely no.

    Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

  • They'll go by her legal name. When you change it, just be sure to inform them.

    Answer by MrsMWF at 10:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

  • You should also talk to the school administrators about this!! They can work with you to make a smooth transition. Talk to them soon - so they can answer this question for you!!!


    Answer by Crafty26 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

  • thanks for the help! i.m afraid of her learning one name and in 9 months changing it again.


    Comment by KimNKay (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

  • All her paperwork will have to have her legal name on it, but if you talk to her teacher and the principal to explain the situation (and provide paperwork backup), then it's highly possible they will work with you.

    Answer by missanc at 10:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

  • I would call the school administration and ask them exactly what is needed. I'm sure they've dealt with cases like this before and know exactly how to handle it, but I'm sure they will understand and refer to your child as the name (first and last) that you refer to her as. I'm sure there is some sort of paperwork the agency/county/lawyer/facilitator that you are going through can provide if needed.

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

  • Most likely it will be her legal name. There was a kid in the kindergrten class I worked in this past year and his name was spelled one way on his birth certificate and the parents were spelling it a different way. We had to teach him the way it was spelled on the bc. His parents went and got it legally changed.

    Answer by Shell89 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
A question about diapers

Next question overall (Health)