Respite Care...

This is mostly for mothers of special needs children. I was wondering whether or not anyone has received this before and how easy or difficult it was to attain and how it worked out for you. I am trying to find a respite care provider now for my two kids and the suggested out of pocket pay rate is around $11 an hour. Any info would be great...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, it was quite easy. We have a center here that provides respite for free, or has a reimbursement rate (10 years ago when I used it, the rate was $7/hr). Since then I have gotten approved for our states medicaid waiver program (in NC it's called CAP) and I get several hundred hours of respite care/year in addition to one on one worker for 20 hrs/week in school and 40 hrs/week when he's out of school. I have found some respite care workers through out local colleges/universities - students that are going into special needs education usually love getting the experience.

Answer by missanc at 10:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2011