Welt marks?

We have been swimming almost all day when we were leaving and I went to change my sons clothes I noticed red bumps and splotches on both upper inner thighs, at first I though it may have been from the mesh inside his swim trunks but now I am not so sure. By the time we got home he was crying it hurt and they had become two large welts, one on each leg. Does anyone know what may have caused this and if I should take him to the doctor? There is no chlorine in the water so I know it isn't a reaction to that.

mrsbean08

Asked by mrsbean08 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Kids' Health

• my little sis used to get reactions like that from bug bites
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 10:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I would make a doctors appt just to be on the safe side. Take pictures just in case they fade a bit so the doctor can see the reaction and maybe determine what could be going on. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Do they look like they are filled with water? Was he sitting on the pool steps often? I used to get "strawberries" on my big toes when I would swim....from rubbing against the bottom of the pool. It could just be an irritation from that.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 10:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Allergic to the pool chemicals or bug bites? Allergic to sunscreen? Call the doctor just to be safe.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I would check the seams in the pants.... because even if they are further down in the shorts, they may have floated up and rubbed his sensitive skin raw.... they may not feel very rough, but try rubbing them on the inner part of your wrist and see if they are rough on your wrist.... Hope this helps! GL!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 6:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2011