How do I get my step daughter to listen to me?

I first met my step daughter when she was only 2. She is now 7 years old and just moved in with us about 6 months ago. We have always had a pretty good relationship. She even calls me mom which she has done since she was 3. But here recently I am having a hard time getting her to listen to me. It has never been a problem in the past so I don't quite understand what is going on with her. I am currently 7 months pregnant and I know when the baby gets here things are going to be even more difficult so I would like to get this little problem under control. I should mention she is a daddy's girl and always gets her way with him which I feel contributes to the problem some. If I tell her do something or not to do something she cries to daddy and says I'm being mean. I treat her no differently than I would my own children and expect her to follow the same rules I would have my own kids follow. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Your husband needs to back you up. If he isn't willing to do that, then nothing you say or do is going to make a difference.

Answer by missanc at 10:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• hmm...I have a 7 yr old step-daughter as well. we also have a 2 yr old boy. she hardly gives me any problems. she doesnt run to her daddy when I ask her to do something but, I may have to ask her to do something twice because she becomes "glued" to the tv very easily, so easily that I often have to mute/turn the tv off! also, I make her father back me up and we have conversated alot about her. she is daddys little girl but he also admits that if either of these children/future children want anything, it wont take much to get it outta him! so, I've just learned to accept the fact that my kids dont get everything that they want but if they are good, it wouldnt be hard to get daddy to take'em to the park or to go get that ice cream. the best thing you can do is to have a sit down with just the 3 of you and no distractions. talk about what you'd like and what you can offer to her and meet eachother in the middle--good luck :)
    Burt929

Answer by Burt929 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2011