Breastfeeding question

Is my baby getting enough milk? She wants to nurse for 30 minutes at a time, takes a 15-20 minute break except for when she sleeps for a couple hours and then wants to nurse again. She has a few wet diapers a day and at least one poopy one, sometimes 2 and sometimes instead of being wet, there is an orange-ish pink-ish powdery substance. Two different lactation consultants say she is latching correctly and just tell me to nurse more often. I'm eating healthy including lots of oatmeal and drinking tons of water and also taking fenugreek and reglan to try to increase my supply. It doesn't seem to me that she's getting enough. What am I doing wrong? Is waiting 15-20 minutes between feeding sessions too long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you do not need reglan. how old is your baby? there is a normal pinkish kind of dishcahrge for newborns. it does not last long. try not to get all caught up in measurements. how much is my baby eating, is my baby eating enough, is my baby growing fast enough? your body was made for this!!! trust that! if you have a newborn, then you should put your baby to the breast whenever they are awake. if they take it, fine, and if not then fine!
    la leche league has a website, and kellymom is another great website.
    please, please please get off the reglan!
    relax a bit mama! i am sure everything is just fine! sometimes babies take comfort in sucking, and there is nothing wrong with that either!
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I agree with happy2bmom25, also there is a Breastfeeding Group that helps out a lot. GL!
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Is she a newborn? That's typical newborn behavior. If you're changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period while EBF, then she's getting enough.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I doubt you need anything for supply either. Nothing here sounds bad, abnormal, or out of the ordinary.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• She's about one month. What's wrong with reglan? The consultant at la leche league said it would help. Her pediatrician said the pinkish powder is uric acid crystals and it means that her urine is too concentrated from not getting enough fluids.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• 2-3 wet diapers a day.
    Anonymous

• I am going to assume the baby is a newborn. As long as she is pooping and wetting her diapers, she's probably getting enough. The true answer will come when they weigh her at the doctors office.

I am a working mother. I have breastfed three children until they were 15-17 months of age after going back to work when they were 8 weeks old (with the help of an electric breast pump). If it were me, I'd lay off the supplements, and just relax. If you stress yourself out, you will adversely affect your milk supply.

The first 6 weeks to 3 months of breast feeding is very demanding. They always seem hungry. The more they nurse, the more milk you will make. It is a supply and demand system. Also remember, overuse of pacifiers will not help you. Best to let her latch on. It gets easier once they start on baby food. Don't give in to the temptation to supplement with formula unless she is not thriving. It's the beginning of the end.
    irdocmom

Answer by irdocmom at 10:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• 2-3 wet diapers a day is not enough, it should definitely be more like 6-8 per day. Is she sucking for that whole 30 minutes? Is that one breast or two?
    irdocmom

Answer by irdocmom at 10:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• 2-3 wet diapers a day is not enough.

my dd had the same eating pattern for about 4 or 5 months. It was insane and I thought I was doing something wrong- but she was just a very constant eater. I would ask your pediatritian next time you go in (within the next week or so). Good luck, also, the breast feeding groups on here are a lot of help and can offer a lot of support when the nights get difficult!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• The other thing you could do is to pump after she is done feeding. This will give you more stimulation. Another time to pump, which is really unpopular, but works great, is between 1 and 3 am, but you have to wait until they are sleeping through the night a 6 hr stretch or so. That is when the oxytocin levels are highest for you. It will increase your supply during the day, plus give you more to give by bottle if her doctor starts talking about supplimenting. You can freeze it in bags for use later. Especially helpful if you go back to work to have a stash in the freezer.
    irdocmom

Answer by irdocmom at 10:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2011