How does prayer hurt you?

Especially if you are a non-believer. Has it ever harmed you, threatened you, made you to feel inferior or looked down upon? If someone's personal beliefs or prayer life doesn't have anything to do with you, why do you make it your business?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Prayer hurts no one, but those doing the praying certainly can and will hurt others. NP's post is a perfect example. Here's another example... my uncle is Evangelical, I am Catholic. My cousin begged me to go to a youth group meeting when I was a senior in high school. I went, just to be polite (as my mother taught me to do). I was introduced to the group by my uncle, and they prayed over me. By the time they were done I felt so small and humiliated. I felt like the biggest sinner and that all Catholics must also be as sinful as I was. This feeling passed soon after I got home and talked to my parents, but still....

This is why prayer in public schools is a bad idea. Whose prayer is the "correct" one? Even Christians can't agree on what's right and what's the wrong way to do things... then you add other prayers from other religions into the mix, and what you get is all out war as to who is right and whose religion "wins".
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• prayer hurts no one..it is simple communication with God. (well, for me it is.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• And all of that doesn't even take into consideration those who do not believe in religion or a god at all. It doesn't hurt them either since they don't believe, but will they be bullied, teased, outcast just because they aren't saying the prayer? These are all things that should be considered. It's not just about the prayer itself, it's about everything that can go with it... for many so-called Christians are not at all like the Christ they pretend to follow.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

•  He's not a genie in a bottle.

Teehee soryr totally off topic but this line reminded me of this

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lezsbzOHhW1qaepp4o1_400.gif

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• "Nothing to do with the faith, everything to do with the method. Look around - you'll find members of your own faith who find this need to pray FOR things equally offensive. "

*raises hand* I am certainly one of those people who find it repulsive when people just think they can ask God for anything. He's not a genie in a bottle. God will help those who need it, and you can ask for guidance and for strength. But to ask for a car or to win the lottery or for a husband/wife is just insulting to God, imo. And yes, I've known of people who have prayed for those things, sad but true.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Prayer helps!
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 10:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Prayer doesn't hurt, even to nonbelievers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Oh and when it is publically led it becomes the "publics' business so those who do not agree with whatever religion/prayer being stated are being subjected to indoctrination of one particular belief against their wishes. If a person wants to pray they can do so of their own accord, there is no need to broadcast it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Yes Not Panicking, that is the PERFECT example of prayer. You don't get all of your opinions from movies, do you?

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 10:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2011