What is a normal amount of money to spend on groceries per week for a family with one child??

my SO and i are practically arguing about this...he says $400 a month is normal, and i think it's way too much. even just ten years ago my family of EIGHT was living off $100/wk...which was obviously real tight, but i think if we're smart we can budget 300-350/month for groceries...

so does any one else have any ideas/opinions? anything would be useful, thanks!

lexi8622

Asked by lexi8622 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• Two years ago I heard that $25 per week per person was considered frugal (thank you, All You magazine.)

I agree with Erica_Smerica, that it depends on where you live and how you eat. If you're eating steak and shrimp instead of burger and canned tuna, it'll definitely cost you more. If you buy a lot of convenience foods, it'll generally cost more than if you buy whole foods and cook from scratch. If you buy name brand groceries, it'll typically cost more than buying store brand.

I have 6 in my family (3 adults, 2 teens, 1 tween) and I'm spending less than $300 a month for food groceries. I could easily do it for $400. We don't eat meatless meals, we eat fresh veggies/fruits every day, and we eat tasty meals. My tricks are meal planning, shopping for only what we need to make those meals, no junk food, sodas, or juices, and cooking from scratch.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Depends on where you live and how you eat. We budget $60 a week for our family of 3 but that does not include household items and diapers.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• $400 sounds about right but it also depends on things like where you live, what you eat, if you're a bargain shopper...etc...
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• WOW! We spend Close to 200/WK and being Very tight at that, with a family of 5 and I cook every night no eating out...
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2011