Baby poop ? (please help)*UPDATE*

ok, my baby is 3 weeks old today and has only pooped 2 times since he was a week old. he is breastfed. for the first week, he pooped every time he ate and now he doesnt ever poop! (like i said, only twice in the last 2 weeks) anyways, i have been giving him a ounce of prune juice to 3 ounces of water and still no poop.. constipation and GI issues run heavily in my side of the family and was wondering if this is something that i should be worried about?? does he need to see a dr or is it normal to not poop that often? please help.. im gonna make him a drs appt tomorrow because he has been very fussy because his belly is hurting him and he has been really gassy the past few days.

******UPDATE******

thank you guys for all the responces... i went to the drs today and she noticed his belly was destended a bit and told me to do suppositorys and prune juice.. she made a appointment with a gastrointeroligist for further testing.. she is concerned because of the hirshsprung and other GI problems that run in my family.. i will keep you guys updated.. thanks!

1sttimemom2011

Asked by 1sttimemom2011 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry. If your baby is exclusively breastfed, breastmilk is made up of mostly water. The gut will absorb that water and what is left over is very little. I had the same question and I was told that 10 days was ok for a breastfed baby to go without a poop. If your baby is straining, and having hard little poops, then maybe talk with your dr. But if the stools are yellow and curdy, then that is normal.
    kassie726

Answer by kassie726 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I would call the dr.. i bf'ed my baby and she pooped ALOT when she was that young.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 10:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I agree, call the doc. I bf'd my 1st girl and am bfing my 4 mo old girl #2, and both pooped a lot. (I mean BLOWOUT proportions. :D) Just maybe a month ago my 4 mo old has started having only 1 or 2 poops/day, and actually today she had none.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I would call the dr and wouldn't give any juice this early unless the dr recommended it.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Normal normal normal. No need for juiice, no need for worry.

You call the doc if baby's tummy is hard, baby is uncomfortable or is passing hard dry pellets. Otherwise, enjoy one of the benefits of breastfeeding... little poop. The no poop record for the breastfeeding moms group is 20 days! Normal breastfed poop blowout at the end of the 20 days.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• G, is this still considered normal considering the age of the baby? I always thought it was after 4-6 weeks that the bowel habits could change. The fact that the baby is 3 weeks, and only moved bowels twice in the past 2 weeks would concern me because of the age...correct me if I am wrong, please! OP, I'm not 100% sure, as I do know it is normal for EBF babies to go weeks without a bowel movement, but I thought it was a LITTLE later on...I would await G's answer, and maybe speak to an IBCLC and/or LLL.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Oh, and I probably wouldn't call or go to the doctor on this one, not yet. I think an IBCLC is the first line of defense for things concerning nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• thank you guys for all the responces... i went to the drs today and she noticed his belly was destended a bit and told me to do suppositorys and prune juice.. she made a appointment with a gastrointeroligist for further testing.. she is concerned because of the hirshsprung and other GI problems that run in my family.. i will keep you guys updated.. thanks!
    1sttimemom2011

Comment by 1sttimemom2011 (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2011