Affordable menu ideas?

My husband son and I have $100 a week to buy enough groceries for all 3 of us. I was raised vegetarian (but now eat beef and chicken) and he was raised "meataterian." We do not eat pork or shellfish because in our religon they are unclean. What can I buy that is simple to make and cheap?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yeah know I've been very good about eating healthy and saving money. One if my new favorite menu items is a mozz, basil & Tomato salad. I went to whole foods, bought a (large) container of fresh basil, sundried tomato and buffalo mozzarella and some grape tomatoes or any is fine. I made a salad out of it!! Delish! It's cheap and taste great! Usually for the caprese salad you only add one basil leaf to each mozzerella but I make it as another salad. Toss all the leaves with all the ingredients. Pour olive oil and balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar. I have made my own balsamic-molasses with caramalized onions and garlic glaze that I keep in the fridge to top into anything, look recipe up on google, and pour it over with olive oil.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 11:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Dinners

calico beans and rice - butter beans, kidney beans, and large can of baked beans with a couple of Tbsp of BBQ sauce heated in the crockpot 4-5 hours

whole chicken - bake it in the oven, veggies on the side, use leftovers for a second meal

turkey burgers or turkey meatloaf with a salad and potatoes

2nd chicken meal - a casserole or pot pie or something

soup and salad meal

noodles with white beans and kale

breakfast for dinner - eggs and pancakes
    Anonymous

• $100 a week for 3 people! I'd love to have that, haha!

I live in Northern Virginia, one of the highest cost of living areas in the US. We spend $140 per month for myself, my husband, and my daughter.

It has less to do with cheap recipes than buying cheap stuff and cooking with what you have. I only buy what's on sale. Meats are only the cheap ones that have been heavily discounted because they are almost to their "sell by" date. As long as you cook or freeze them that day, they're fine. Last week a got a $7 roast for $2! Many grocery stores also have the same thing in the produce section. Also, remember frozen veggies are usually cheaper AND usually more nutritious!

NEVER buy pre-made foods. Concentrate on shopping the outer aisles. You will always have healthier, cheaper food that way.

An awesome website with amazing, super cheap recipes is PoorGirlEatsWell.com. I get a lot of my tips from her!
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 7:15 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Frittata's are always good, you can put whatever you want in them, healthy and cheap, I am doing one tomorrow with spinach, potato and red onion.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Oh and the basil Tom and mozz salad was less than $13 to make and fed about 9 people.

Green chicken enchilada casserole I good and cheap too! It makes a whole lot and you can freeze the rest for another day. Corn tortillas 30 pack or more. Boiled chicken breast or thighs or drumsticks, shredded. Can of cream of chicken, can of cream of mushroom and a jar or can of green enchilada sauce or green salsa. A pack of Monterey jack cheese, grated. Mix all wet ingredients Together. Lay tortillas in casserole pan so that they cover the bottom of the pan. Layer chicken and cheese and then pour some of the wet mixture on top. Keep layering until out of ingredients. Then toss a litle more cheese on top and bake at 375 for 35 minutes. It is amazing and affordable! Hope I was able to help
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 11:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• can do breakfast night, I do boxed mac and cheese and add a can of peas and tuna, spagetti, tv dinners, homemade pizza using english muffins, grilled cheese, tossed salad and rolls, lasgana, I do egg noodles and mix in a can of creamed chicken soup and then add one can of peas and carrots and top with cheese and then melt but you can also add meat if you like, top roman noodles, omelets,
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 6:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2011