Are they your enemies?

The responses to non-Christian (or even other denominations of Christianity) seem to fall into two categories here lately - curiosity or anger. Curiosity makes sense. Why the anger? Why are people threatened, offended or otherwise motivated to attack simply because someone has a different belief than they do?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• So, are you asking if non-Christians are my enemies? If so, the answer is no. I have friends of other religions and it's not a big deal anywhere but here on CM.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• So, are you asking if non-Christians are my enemies?

Generally speaking yes. The question was more inspired by some of the rants in this (the evil tattoos) and this (pick any page)

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Never seen a "christian" on here run around bashing

Feel free to check those links, then
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Oh hoho! Methinks that road goes both directions on any given day.
    Feel free to find those links, too.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Feel free to find those links, too.

Nobody stopping you from starting your own question. I'm curious about why certain people - and if you'll notice, they're mostly newbies, have so much blind hate for people unlike them, to the point that they're even attacking other members of their own faith without even realizing it.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

Who hasn't? Someone must have deleted an answer? And whoever it was must either be new here or be extraordinarily unobservant!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Someone must have deleted an answer?

Yep, they did. Oddly enough, someone who has started quite a few of those non-curious questions over the past few months.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I think the thing I have come to learn is that whatever it is I believe reflects solely on me. Though I can find those of similar faith and views, someone else's way of giving their testimony so to speak, doesn't speak on my behalf, and I can't truly speak for another, but only my own self.

People feel threatened of other's beliefs simply because that is part of human nature, and we being human and passionate about our beliefs which in many ways is our core way of identifying ourselves, we feel requires defense. I think defense will always be a person's first reaction until they learn to think outside of themselves and realize that all people have differing views based on their own unique set of circumstances. It helps to be understanding on put the shoe on the other foot, which doesn't come naturally to most, and is something that has to be worked at. Somedays we do better than others in that arena, some not. One day@ a time
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 12:03 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• The anger comes simply from being a miserable person. When you are miserable in your own life, you must make the lives of others equally miserable. At least, that's their goal. It seems to surface most in questions about religion and politics, but it can surface just about anywhere depending on whether or not the individual is out of Pamprin and Xanax.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I think overall the majority of people who come to this area do so with a grain of respect for others. However, as always it's the minority with the big mouths causing all the issues - it's like Highschool all over again. And I think for some this is their only form of drama - apparently some haven't discovered Cable yet. But no, to answer your question no one here is my enemy unless they choose to make it so, in which case I usually just see no reason to waste energy on them anyways!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2011