What age are women supposed to get mammograms?

Can anyone tell me approximately what age you should start getting mammograms? My grandmother has been diagnosed with breast cancer again after being cancer free for 19 years. I'm kind of worried now, when one should start getting them, especially if there is a history if it. Thanks!

HistoryPixie

Asked by HistoryPixie at 11:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Health

• ASAP if you have history so that you have a baseline. Otherwise, 40 is the norm.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Usually around age 40. There would be more of a concern of you getting tested earlier if it were your mother or sister that has it than your grandmother. I hope your grandmother is ok.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Typically 40 but with a family history 30-35 is pretty common. My Grandma died of breast cancer at 42 so I know for me it's recommended that I start at 35.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 11:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• 40 unless there is a hisory. You should have one.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Bump
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Well I'm 28 right now...I'm just so upset about the whole thing. I went home to attend my cousin's wedding and found out that my grandmother had cancer again....this is the grandmother that I'm named after....I'm just so numb....(sorry if I'm rambling).
    HistoryPixie

Comment by HistoryPixie (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I am so sorry to hear about your grandma, I wish her good luck in defeating her cancer. Since there is a family history I would suggest you talk to your ob./gyn and let them know, and ask if they think you should have a mammogram. Usually they suggest women get them around age 40. I am 41 and had my 1st one this year.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:12 AM on Jun. 27, 2011