My 2 month old doesnt like tummy time, now what?

Do I keep putting her on her tummy until she stops crying, or will she eventually like it? I am getting worried because shes not rolling yet, and I have heard some people say that she wont be able to turn over easy because I dont put her on her stomach. I dont because she doesnt like it! Is there any reason why she doesnt like it? Or is she scared and how can I make it better for her. I have tried laying down next to her so she can see my face...but she just cries and cries that she doesnt even notice me. Isnt this like a crucial part of her life?? What to do what to do??

laurenparent

Asked by laurenparent at 11:58 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby hated tummy time for awhile too... just keep putting her like that a couple time a week... just for a minute or two... she will like it again at some point probably... mine likes it again!
    It also helps to get down there with them and play and talk to them to make it more fun.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Continue to put her on her tummy. I would say put her on her tummy everyday for a couple minutes. Each day or week gradually add on a minute or two. She will eventually learn to like it. It does help to get down on the floor with them and talk to them. I would lay down with my son and rub his back and talk gently to him. That way he associates being on his belly with pleasurable things. Good luck.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 12:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• not all babies roll that early. My daughter didn't start rolling over until she was almost 6 months I think. Just start with short amounts of time and then gradually add more.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 12:38 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Keep trying. My daughter never did like tummy time until she could lift her chest and head up easily. Just keep putting her down a few times a day, and try propping her chest on a boppy pillow or something similar so she can see something other than the blanket in front of her nose. However, do NOT let her get frustrated to the point of crying or it will take her longer to accept tummy time. She needs to know that when she is done with it that you'll help her. And yes, my kid took "longer" to roll over, but when she was ready and strong enough she had rolling over down within 2 weeks, so I think they do catch up eventually.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• my son is 4 1/2 months and has only rolled belly to back half a dozen times, and back to belly once. ive given him tummy time for a few minutes a day, and now he can go 10-15min at a time. you can get a little cushion to put under her chest, thats what i bought for my son. it had toys on it for him to play with. babies roll when they are ready to, i wouldnt worry abotu her not rolling yet.
    parkersmommyj

Answer by parkersmommyj at 1:37 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• does she have a favorite toy or sound/music? i would have her favorite things around to make her comfortable, and its really good that you get on the floor. keep trying, even if its only a few minutes a few times a week, you are getting her accomadated to the idea of it, and letting her know that it will be ok. sometimes babies just dont progress at the same, she'll get there eventually, even if it takes a little extra work, good luck!
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Thanks ladies! Hope something works!
    laurenparent

Answer by laurenparent at 7:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2008