My DSs Dr said to start him on cows milk. He's only 10 months old.

I'm just a bit confused bc until now the Dr has been strictly against milk until 12 months old. She says now I can gradually add small amounts to his formula to wean him. It's cheaper than formula and weve had some money problems so this is pretty excited for me and dh to find any way to save a few bucks but still I dont understand the sudden change. One minute she says its dangerous and will cause digestive problems, the next she says go ahead and give it a go!

Any suggestions? I'm still skeptical, I'm trying not to be bc I just don't get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They normally do a test, which I am sure your Dr did to check whether or not a baby is ready to go onto cows milk or not, my Dr was ok'd to go onto cows milk at 9mths, she is now 4 and we had no problems at all.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• if she is saying to do it slowly it probably is because of his tummy i started at 12 months and he had a really hard time he would cry of constipation
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• The more old school doctors tend to be a bit more lenient with stuff like this.When I was a baby 20 years ago it was fairly standard as long as you had no allergies in the family to introduce it at about 10months.
    Do with what feels right to you but generally if they are going to have issues with milk they'll have it with the formula.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 12:12 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I started introducing it to both of my kids at 10 months and neither of them had any problems. Start small and see if he has any trouble with it or not.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• my son started drink milk at 10 months and had no complications
    Mom_Of_3_Angelz

Answer by Mom_Of_3_Angelz at 3:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• He may be giving you time to transition. You could do 6 oz formula/2 oz milk for a week or so, then 4 oz formula/4 oz milk for a week or so, then 2 oz formula/6 oz milk, etc. until it's all milk. We did this, but over a 10-14 day period because he was already 12 months. Also, he was on soy formula so we were worried if he'd have problems with cow's milk, but he did fine. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• If your son has had cheese and yogurt with no problems it will be fine. If he is on regular formula I think it will be fine, if he is on sensitive formula then wait a few months. My doctor said to wait until 11-12 months. My son had cheese and yogurt with no problems so I started him on whole at 11 months. If you dont feel comfortable then wait a few more months. When you are ready to switch start by mixing milk and formula half and half for a few days and see how he does. It took a few days for my son before he got used to the new taste. good Luck.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• if he has no problem digesting any other dairy products then i think he will be fine
    Rydersmom95

Answer by Rydersmom95 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• If you don't want to... you don't have to. Go with your gut.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• i started my son on whole milk at 6 months, he couldn't digest the formula and i had it changed three times. its not harmful at all. like they give restrictions on cereal and juices i think anytime after 6 months they are good. but nothing too heavy of course
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2011