When you had your second child

What was the hardest thing about the transition? especially if they were close in age?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 12:17 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• My boys are about 2 and half years apart and the hardest part is loosing sleep again. After I already got used to my oldest sleeping through the night and sleeping in!! LOL my 7 month old is sleeping through most of the night now.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I had my daughter when my son was 2 1/2 and the hardest thing for me was feeling like I was paying the newborn more attention than my toddler. You find the right balance though and it all seems to work out!
    GuyandEvaMom

Answer by GuyandEvaMom at 12:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My DS and twin DD's are about 2 years apart. To stop any envy I made sure to include DS in activities, such as helping me prepare the nursery ahead of time and helping me dress/get things for the babies when they were little. That way he felt he was involved and not ignored, especially since since there were two babies. Now he adores his baby sisters (he calls them his babies) ...sometimes he gets frustrated that its takes me longer to do things with him, but I remind him that they are little and he is a big boy and he understands.
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 12:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I'm glad you asked this my 2nd child will be born nearly a month after my daughters 1st birthday so i have been thinking about this alot
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 12:47 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Loss of sleep; they both NEVER napped at the same time! Money became tight er and we couldn't afford the little vacations we took with just one child. not being able to devote all my time to my eldest; sometimes I would get so wrapped up in caring for the baby (like breastfeeding); that I felt guilty about not spending time with my eldest. Yet still in the end... I wouldn't change it for the world!! I love my 3 kids :)!!!!!!
    Mom_Of_3_Angelz

Answer by Mom_Of_3_Angelz at 1:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Probably lack of sleep. My oldest was only 15 months old when the 2nd was born. And he had colic and reflux. It took over an hour to feed, change and get him back to sleep at night and he woke up ever 3 hours so I was only getting 1 1/2-2 hours of sleep at a time for a total of maybe 5 hours the entire night if I was lucky. So I was up all night with the baby and then up at 6:30am with my oldest. It was exhausting. Then 13 months later I had #3. I really don't remember about 3 years of my life. It's all a blur.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2011