I WANT TO FORMALLY APOLIGIZE FOR MY WORD CHOICE IN A STRESSFUL SITUATION. I USED THE WORD "RETARD" WHEN I SHOULDN'T HAVE. PLEASE READ THIS MOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies~

I really need to formally apologize for my word choices with a post that I posted 40ish minutes ago. The title was "I am such a retard. How do you dial an international number?" In my personal life, I do not know anyone who is handicapped and have never known anyone who is, so it was not reactionary to never think to use that word, but I will always be aware now! I really do not even know if "handicapped" is the correct way to address it. I do not even remember the last time I have used that word. maybe when I was 10 years old. I was just severely frustrated that I could not figure out how to dial the number.

I was in a high stress situation where I had only the phone to deal with it. I ended up getting my answer from one of the first posts and I googled it as well, but the post came first. So thank you so much to those of you who looked past my mistake and really helped me with my issue.

My MIL has high anxiety and is in Mexico and called me crying that her boyfriend left her alone at a bar and has been alone for hours. I lost contact and needed to call her hotel to see if they could pick her up or if her boyfriend was in his room. I had to talk some sense into him to get her and then he put her on the phone so I could help her calm down. The cops were also present and it was really hard for me not to get my anxiety up as well.

I still do not even know if everything is ok, I am going to call after I write this.

I am so, so sorry for wording my post that way. I really was so stressed and not thinking.

And thank you moms who could tell I was just stressed and helped me figure out what I was doing wrong.

I HOPE EVERY MOM WHO READ MY ORIGINAL POST SEES THIS!!!!

Gingerwheel

Asked by Gingerwheel at 12:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Travel

• I hope all goes well for your MIL (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• We have all made remarks without considering the consquences until it's too late. This is called “open mouth, insert foot”. I hope your MIL is okay :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• :) you're fine hun.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 1:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It's very nice that you sought out to make the mothers of handicapped children feel better. I'm sure you're apology is accepted.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I have two special need kids, on of whom is my daughter whom has global developmental delays..and I still use the word retarded. Doesn't offend me in the slightest, but I can still appreciate your sensitivity and caring concern in this matter. Thanks for just making the effort:)
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 1:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I think it's great u taking the time to say sorry hope ur daughter is ok :)
    Daisysjewels

Answer by Daisysjewels at 1:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• hope all works out for you
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Glad you apologized. It bothered many of us.
    .MhacFoirfe.

Answer by .MhacFoirfe. at 11:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It didn't bother me, but i understand the apology. Some people are more sensitive to the word than others.

My aunt has downs & uses the word "retard" all the time. It's confusing for some....but i find it cute.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• :)
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 8:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2011