Christians: Do you honestly believe that if someone is not Christian they must hate Christians?

I have been seeing statements pointing to this belief more and more lately. The idea that Non-Christians must take issue with Jesus or have some resentment towards Christians or something... And I don't just mean on this site either... I don't get it. I have a great many non-Christians in my life and I don't know a single one who hates Christians... So where does this belief come from? Is it something that's commonly taught by Churches? I know I've heard it from those TV Preachers, but I hope most people don't give them much thought... So where does this come from? If you feel this way - WHY?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, but I do think there are some really abrasive people here on CM who aren't Christian and feel the need to keep harping on it (not referring to you, Sabrina). In real life I don't see it, but here it seems like there are a lot of really snide comments made.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• – collapse
    It is the anti christ spirit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• I've actually been seeing it more and more, even in real life. And I simply don't understand it.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• im a christian and no i don't think nonchristian hate me...they may think our beliefs are annoying that's about all i've heard
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I don't believe that non-Christians hate me any more than I hate them. The problem is that sites like this tend to attract people who want to attack. I left CM for probably a year because of it. I just got sick of the drama and the attacks. Now that CM has a separate section for religious debate it doesn't seem as bad. I think it is very easy to get defensive but I have learned when I start to feel this way to take a break and just not come into this section for a while. I am sure people of other faiths can feel this way too, not just on here. Look at society and the way Muslims have been attacked, or the stereotypes of Atheist. 

quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 12:37 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Actually, some of the kindest people I know are non-Christians (both on CM and IRL). I have far more experience in real life and on CM with Christians being hateful than non-Christians, and I've been very pleased to find that there really are Christians out there like me who believe in respecting all human beings regardless of their beliefs or lifestyle. That's not saying that I love and respect everyone, there are people in this world that just don't deserve either of those things from me. But it's nice to know that not all Christians believe in the in your face witnessing kind of thing.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• of course not!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:03 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Read this yesterday - this reminds me:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/liv-tyler-says-the-ledge-is-not-anti-christian-51568/

Decent article coming from a source that actually trends "persecution" as one of its hot topics, but the comments are something else.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:46 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It goes back to the 50s and the beginning of the Cold War and the horrible godless Communists. The generations since have been taught that anyone who isn't Christian must be "of the Devil". Many have moved away from that kind of thinking but there are still too many that continue to believe that.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:47 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Of course not!

Answer by older at 8:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2011