Any frugal moms out there?

What are some ways your family "cut corners" to save money? We don't eat out unless someone else is treating, I buy clothing and other items at thrift stores, I only drive when I have to go some place important.....what do you do?

soldierluvr0407

Asked by soldierluvr0407 at 12:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• I am super aware of my electric bill, we turn the AC up higher during the day, and make sure lights aren't on unless they are necessary. When I am in need of new clothes for my daughter and I, I always check craigslist first for free bags of clothes.
    Baileysmomma813

Answer by Baileysmomma813 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• freecycle.com through Yahoo groups. It's a site where people give things away for FREE! We'd rather give things to others in need then throw it away. You can find anything from a couch to clothes to a grill... you name it! It helps when you're on a ti ght budget and can not afford to buy new things. I also keep dark curtains on my window and open the windows during they day to let in the breeze rather then turn on the air conditioner. I only use it when it gets to hot to bear! I always keep the lights off during the day. In the winter I would turn the heat down when I left the house.
    Mom_Of_3_Angelz

Answer by Mom_Of_3_Angelz at 1:47 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I water down our milk lol.
    I use only half the meat in a recipe and make up for it with extra veggies
    I make snack packs in proper portions so people dont reach for an entire bag of something.
    I also buy at op shops or make our own clothing.
    We have no heating in the house, instead we use extra clothing and blankets to save on power.
    Use energy efficient light bulbs in half the lighting things, other half dont have any light bulbs at all as I dont think they are needed.
    Until recently when my dad gave me a car, I have not owned one in about 10 yrs. I do not dive it though as I dont have a license lol, so we walk or bus everywhere
    We part time EC and part time cloth diaper, and use cloth wipes... and I am trying to convince my family we should do family cloth. Today I "forgot" to stock up on toilet paper LOL, so they are forced to try it ha ha ha ha
    We reuse/recycle things like containers that we got food etc
    Misery_Stitches

Answer by Misery_Stitches at 4:16 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I have found that hard work, careful planning, saving, and making the right 'big' decisions are the way to ensure financial fitness. Most of the remedies you mention indicate that you're in a financial crisis and need to focus on increasing your income and making significant cost reductions like moving into a smaller home.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 10:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Same as you but I do go out of my way to drive to thrift shops ~

tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• CheapSally.com !!
    tons of coupons, deals, promos, and a great daily deal aggregrator (all your fave daily deal companies in one place)!!!
    My #1 goal is to help all of us frugal mamas save money!!
    cheapsally

Answer by cheapsally at 6:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I found a great way to save money on things my family shops for on a monthly basis. Message me to find out. I'd love to share!
    Kaye924

Answer by Kaye924 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2011