Have you experienced.... during workout?

I've just done my first week of the P90X. And throughout parts of it, I've been experiencing a sharp, burning pain in my lower abs. It's not from sit ups. I get it when im holding myself up off the ground...I end up dropping to the floor in pain. DH says I might have sprained my abs...IDK...
Besides being overweight, I have been pretty healthy. I don't have the insurance to see a Dr about it, and feel it's not necessary.
Just wondering if anyone may have an idea of what it may be from...Not asking for a diagnosis..lol.. I am a mother of 2, haven't been very active...:( I thought because I haven't worked on being fit after either of the kids, it would be my mommy tummy.. I tried putting on my postpartum support belt to see if it would make a difference... It has some... Still painful though..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I agree with MrsMWF. It sounds like you pulled a muscle. Any activity that makes you feel like that you need to STOP immediately, or you can do more damage. Might be your rectus abdominus or your hip flexors. Avoid lower ab work for now and anything that makes that pain come back. Very gentle stretches are okay, just go easy. It might take a couple of weeks for you to be able to resume activity.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:13 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Maybe you pulled something or maybe you're overdoing it.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Your first week of PX90. It's just soreness.

And PX90 isn't for someone just doesn't work out and just one day say "I'm going to do PX90" and think that you won't physically hurt. I would give it a week, if it's still acting up, then go to the doc.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 1:10 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Oh believe me, I knew to expect soreness. This is something different..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:13 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I'm a sports med. professional.... I can tell you that it would be a strain, not a sprain... you strain/pull a muscle, you sprain a ligament. Any ways... if the pain is only while doing the exercise that's your bodies way of telling you your overdoing it... you've reached muscle fatigue and the muscle is stopping you before you tear/strain it. LISTEN to your body... Back off a bit, progress a little slower and you should be ok. From what I've seen P90X is NOT for beginners.... you need to modify it to your level of fitness!!! If the pain is constant, and interfering with your activities of daily living you may have done some damage... see a doc!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Did you have a c/section with either baby? I do a lot of beachbody workouts and I've had 3 c/s's so I know at first it hurt like a SOB!! But it gets better :D
    willngingersmom

Answer by willngingersmom at 1:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I chose to do the INSANITY workout to get back into shape. My mistake! P90x and INSANITY are not for people trying to get into shape. You already have to be in decent shape to start these without the risk of injury.

I would sit in a warm bath for a few minutes, allow your muscles to warm up and then do some stretching by rotating your upper body from side to side while your bottom remains on the tub floor. Try raising your right arm up and lean to the left, then do the other side. When you get out of the tub, lean back a little bit to stretch out all your front abs.

Visit a doctor if your pain persists. Good luck! I hope it isn't serious.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2011