Certain Pets are NOT allowed...

So i hear your not supposed to have a kitten while your pregnant...turns out you can...just stay away from the Kitty Litter box...

Now..what about a Ginie Pig (cant spell)

My sister told me that for xmas shes getting me one and i forgot to even think if having one would be bad...is it safe?

MissKellee

Asked by MissKellee at 12:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• There's something in cat feces that can cause toxemia.
    I asked my OB about it cause we have rabbits, and he said he prefers that pregnant women stay away from all animal droppings, and if you HAVE to clean it, there's no one else, wear a mask and gloves.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• should be, i never heard anything about not being able to have a ginie pig. i know you can have rabbits, so i dont see why not.
    the cat is cause of the litter, so im sure its ok.
    Anonymous

• If she's getting it for Christmas, there's still time for you to call your doctor and check on it. Then if it's bad to have it, she won't be wasting her money.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Guinea pigs shouldnt be a problem they dont need a whole lot of clean up so you should be okay but I agree with olivia ... have someone else clean out the cage just in case and if there isnt anyone else wear a mask when you clean it...That should be fine.

However, once the baby is born I wouldnt let it around the baby.My daughter is deathly allergic to cats and dogs and we didnt know untill an emergency room visit .We had to get rid of all the animals and she was already attached by the time we found out . So you dont want her getting attached if she may have health issues because of any animals.

babyfactory04

Answer by babyfactory04 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• i heard that cat feces can cause toxemia only if you never been expose to it before... if youve had cats your body has already built up an immunity to it, right?
    Anonymous

Wrong.
    It's just easier to get toxemia pregnant.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Just wear gloves when cleaning the litter box and wash your hands when playing with it. Thats all I was told and we have 3 cats, 2 free roaming iguanas, and a huge ass dog. I'm also a vet tech and exposed to all sorts of besties. Just don't lickyour fingers after touching it, and cover cuts. The germs need a way in inorder to infect you. Don't give them one and you are good. Or have hubby or the kids clean the litter box and you are all set.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 2:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Cat litter does not cause toxemia. That is an issue with protein in the urine and high blood pressure it does cause Toxoplasmosis. It can only be gotten if you some how ingest the feces and only then if your cat eats raw foods. It's a parasite.

Guinea pigs are fine. I can't think of a reason they would be a problem.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

The litter doesn't, the feces does and the urine. If it gets on your skin, yes you can also get it. You can get it from inhalation too.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 15, 2008