I'm planning a road trip with myself and my four children.

This is our first road trip ever, with the 5 of us. They are ages 11, 7, 4, and 3 years old. I have never even driven out of state by myself and I honestly don't know what to expect. So question is does anyone have any advice on how to make this a smooth trip for everyone??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Travel

• how far are you driving? If you're driving far, you may want to get an early start so you don't end up driving in the dark. Just pack a lot of snacks and beverages, toys, books, and balls and bubbles for rest stops. Plan for some restroom/gas stops. Your 7 and 11 year olds should be able to keep themselves busy and help with the little ones. Depending on how far you are driving and where, you may be able to find interesting sites to visit on the way. Hope this helps.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 2:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• oh I forgot DVDs help a lot too. My dd loves watching DVDs on road trips.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 2:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• We are driving from Michigan to North Carolina,
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:52 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Leave early & take lots of breathers. Plan on stopping at playgrounds so the kids can get some energy out.
    Quinn525

Answer by Quinn525 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• wow what a trip I know when we went from Michigan to Florida we took snacks and beverages, books, video and board games and the kids' favorite toys to keep them entertained and balls and bubbles for rest stops. Plan for some restroom/gas stops.

If you have a DVD player in your vehicle DVD's are great also. Also if you have them take music CD's and their own players then that way they can listen to what they like.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I've done a few roadtrips with my kids by myself, and will be taking 5 kids on a train for 12 hours next weekend! (Meeting DH there for vacation and driving back together.) Bring plenty of snacks and beverages. Look up travel games for kids that age and print out instructions (20 questions is fun too). Have each child pack themselves a few toys to play with in the car. Have a reward available at the end of the trip for kids who are helpful and behave themselves. Plan plenty of rest stops, and make sure the kids know they have to let you know if they have to pee before it is an emergency.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:27 AM on Jun. 27, 2011