17 Month old boy beaten and killed for acting like a girl. WTF?!?!

At approximately 8:25 p.m. last Sunday night, the New York State Police on Long Island logged a 911 call about a toddler in cardiac arrest. The boy, 17-month-old Roy Jones, was rushed from the Shinnecock Indian Reservation in Southampton, N.Y. to Southampton Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 9:11 p.m.

According to authorities, the toddler had endured a savage beating. His tiny body had been repeatedly punched with closed fists and grabbed by the neck. By the time 911 had been called at dusk, he was already in cardiac arrest from the sheer brutality of the assault and it was too late to save his life.

Charged with manslaughter in the first degree and held without bail is the toddler's mother's live-in boyfriend, 20-year-old Pedro Jones, who was babysitting. The pair lived together on Shinnecock Nation tribal land, though Jones himself was not a member of the tribe. They were reportedly to marry, and Jones called the toddler "my baby," though Roy was not, in fact his baby.

"I was trying to make him act like a boy instead of a little girl," Jones explained. "I never struck that kid that hard before. A one-time mistake, and I am going to do 20 years."

He told troopers that the little boy had been too feminine and that he'd been trying to toughen Roy up by literally beating the life out of him.

"I'm sorry," he said "That's my baby. I loved him to death."

A nominally civilized society such as ours can only recoil in horror at any news of a child's death at the abusive hands of an adult. Infanticide is the ultimate forfeiture of our humanity, rightly seen as a perversion of the very essence of the natural order and the circle of life. The act is a declaration of such abject monstrosity that is very nearly beyond forgiveness. But it happens every day, and we guiltily avert our eyes to these stories when we read them because, on some level, we realize that the children could easily be our own and the pain is too much to bear. In 2008, in the U.S. alone, the Department of Health and Human Services reported 772,000 cases of child abuse, resulting 1,740 fatalities--a sharp rise from 1,330 in 2000.

But there is an added and significant dimension to the tragedy. The reason given for the beating is that, even at 17 months, the toddler was perceived by his killer to be effeminate. Madhouse logic indeed, but to Pedro Jones there was a way that little boys should act and a way little girls should act.

While Jones is a tragic example of the paradigm taken to deadly lengths, society's discomfort with gender variance permeates nearly every part of the national dialogue and runs through every part of the culture.

It's present in the heightened male objectification of women inherent in certain types of music videos that present them as "bitches" and "hoes" who crave an answering violent thuggishness from their men. It's present in advertising that teaches young women that they're essentially a life support system for their physical assets, that the ideal woman is a weak-willed, mindless consumer of frivolity, whereas a "real man"--stronger, but stupider--is waiting for nothing more than the arrival of the Swedish Women's Nude Basketball Team with cold beer.

There are coded echoes of it in the leading and prejudicial questionnaire put to servicemen and women this spring by the Pentagon regarding the viability of openly gay soldiers serving side-by-side with heterosexual ones. The document is mined with phrases that seem crafted with unease on the part of straight male soldiers as a goal, fears that their gay counterparts might not be "real" men but something inferior, less masculine, less reliable in a firefight.

It was there in June of this year when the Family Research Council hailed Republican Governor of Rhode Island Don Carcieri for vetoing hate crimes legislation that would have included transgender-identified persons as a protected class. Gloated Tony Perkins, the president of the organization, "[Governor Carcieri] deserves praise for his strong stance for the Families of Rhode Island, and other Governors can learn from his example." Perkins neglected to explain how excluding transgender people from hate crime legislation had anything to do with protecting families.

It was there in the Hieronymus Bosch-level grotesquery of the lies, distortions, and misrepresentations of the lives of gay and lesbian couples used by the Proposition 8 supporters in their now-failed battle to make their horror of sexual and gender variance the law of the land in California by codifying their bigotry at the ballot box and in the courts.

It's endemic in fundamentalist Christianity, which claims Biblical authority for rigid gender roles and, more importantly, the appearance of rigid gender roles. Psychologist and Southern Baptist minister George Alan Rekers, co-founder of the Family Research Council and formerly of the National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH) who, until

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 5:04 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• This is ridiculous and it makes me so upset to read things like this! WOW killed the poor child for acting like a girl..im pretty sure a 17 mth old don't know how to act like anything he was just being a child! This makes me so sad....
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 5:08 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I hope this man's prison in-mates rape and beat him to death.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 5:08 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• wow....the guy doesn't even seem that guilty....he should be getting more than 20 years...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:53 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Hope he gets life, such a sorry fucking excuse...
    Piece of crap, lemme at'em, I'll beat'em with a baseball bat!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• OMG!!! This makes me cry :( Poor little baby!!! He is only 17 months! Just a baby...he doesn't even know the difference between a boy and a girl! :(
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 7:15 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I can't believe people nowadays. I hope that man dies a horrible death.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• The only thing I can't believe is that he is being charged with first degree manslaughter instead of murder (perhaps not first degree since that would be hard to prove). I hope someone in prison makes him their bitch and then he can feel effeminate for the entire time he serves.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• OMG that made me cry just reading it. I can't believe someone would do that, I mean he was only 17months old he didn't know what a boy and girl act like.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 10:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• my youngest daughter is 17 months, i can't imagine someone BEATING her like that. that is just disgusting. i hope Bubba rips him a new asshole in jail.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• What about the teenagers are beaten and killed for JUST walking home? Wouldn't you say ANY harm or death of a child because of ignorance, gang violence, etc is a WTF moment?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 27, 2011