IM THE ONLY ONE WHO UNDERSTANDS WHAT MY 4 AND A HALF YEAR OLD SAYS

MY SON DOESNT TALK VERY CLEAR. NOBODY CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT HE IS SAYING, HOW ARE TEACHERS GONNA UNDERSTAND HIM IN SCHOOL NEXT YEAR??? ANY ADVICE??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My three and half year old is like this, but we know its a hearing problem. He is getting his second set of tubes next month. I am also going to start taking him to a speech therapist. Sometimes he gets so frustrated that I can't understand him. Your pediatrician can recommend a hearing test and an ear, nose and throat doc. Good Luck, I am in the same boat as you :)
    ncmomofboys

Answer by ncmomofboys at 12:22 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Get his speech checked and his hearing.
    Anonymous

• when he's in school they'll put him through a speech class to help him! But he might have a hearing problem because kids can't pronounce words right because they don't hear them right. So i would get that checked also.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• well, if you don't get him checked for a speech problem, your son's teacher will do that right away.
    you can practice pronouncing words with him in the meantime.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• the teacher will notice that and send him right to get his speech evaluated
    boyer94

Answer by boyer94 at 10:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My daughter is kind of like that too...Except my mom and sister can understand her, but outside people have a hard time with understanding...I was going to check her speech and everything by Jan or Feb...Ask the school district u live in where you can go etc.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I would put him in school NOW. My sons friend was difficult to understand but when he started pre-school and being around other kids and the teacher helped him quite a bit.
    Also want to let you know that you do NOT have to wait until he starts school to have him evaluated for speech etc. there is a federal law that covers 0-3 and another for chidren who are 3-5. What has your pediatrician suggested? Again I would not wait I would get help NOW because the longer you wait the harder it will be.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I completely agree with the hearing tests. My daughter was like that. She passed the "normal" hearing tests. You have to get the really in depth ones. You have to ask. She got tubes put in her ears and tonsils and adenoids out at two. That fixed everything. Really push the issue.
    -Chelsea
    chelseaa

Answer by chelseaa at 1:39 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• At his age, he's too old for Early Intervention. Call your school districts Special Education department and ask them about having him evaluated because you feel he needs some help with speech. Or go through your pediatrician. The earlier he gets help, the better. There is no reason to wait until he's in school.

Both of my younger boys (ages 3 and 2) are receiving speech therapy...and I've seen improvement after only two months! (the youngest has a severe delay)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• If his hearing turns out to be fine, just start working with him. Talk to him in normal people words. Insist that he use them. Read books every day. We have read DD two books every night since she was 2. She's now 5 and has the vocabulary of a 7yo.
    amandae21

Answer by amandae21 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2008