Is bare bottom spanking ok?

My 3-1/2 yo ss can be a little monster when he stays with us. My dh discussed discipline with his ex, and she said she's been pulling down pants and spanking. We're trying to make things a consistent as we can because it's shared custody. I don't have any issue with spanking in general, just wondering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, i don't think it's OK. Adults are not supposed to harm other adults when they're not acting properly, why should an adult hurt a child if they're not acting properly?

There are better ways to discipline, do some google searching & look up different disciplining techniques & give them a try. It's worth the effort to not have to hurt your child.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I don't think anything is wrong with it. I spank my daughters hand ( not bare bottom) she is only two.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 6:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• According to the first poster you're suppose to let the child run all over you! She's probably the type of parent I see in the grocery store with their child kicking ans screaming because they want a candy bar. Ughhh
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I do not think any form of spanking is acceptable. However, given that it is legal unless you leave a mark (currently), I would not take a chance of marking a child. If you or your spouse left a mark, no matter how slight, they could turn you in and you lose custody. Or if tgey leave a mark....they can lie if it is noticed and say it came from you. The best way is to not spank. Or agree to do so with clothes on, on the bottom, and to never leave any marks, welts, or red spots.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Spanking a child with your hand ( as long as it is not a closed fist) is okay. Talking does not always work every now and then there comes a time when you have to discipline your child. Or you can just repeat yourself all day, or keep calling their name hoping they will do what you ask...and people wonder why their child wont listen to them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• "According to the first poster you're suppose to let the child run all over you! She's probably the type of parent I see in the grocery store with their child kicking ans screaming because they want a candy bar. Ughhh"

wow, judge people much?

When did i say to not discipline at all? All i said was that there are better forms of discipline out there, which is true. If you think spanking is the only way to teach your child right from wrong, then i feel for your kids big time. My child is very well behaved, i have never had to spank her. I taught her how to behave from the get go using forms of discipline that don't involve harming my child.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• FYI - my DD has never kicked or screamed in public. I look at other kids who do & think "I'm so glad my child has never done that...not even once"....maybe it's because of my awesome disciplining techniques that don't involve hurting my one & only child....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:53 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• "Talking does not always work every now and then there comes a time when you have to discipline your child. Or you can just repeat yourself all day, or keep calling their name hoping they will do what you ask...and people wonder why their child wont listen to them"

Do you really think that talking is the only form of non-violent discipline? Do some research on proper disciplining techniques...you have some things to learn...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:55 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• If this is a step child , I will be quite honest, If another woman put her hand on my child by any form of physical punishment, it wouldnt be a good situation, not for her any way. I have spanked my son, but I learned it taught him to hit, when something didnt go his way, spanking does not work for every child, I was never spanked because I listened easy, however I had a mom who would ask nicely for all she wanted I never had a reason to be ill toward her, she was loving, and for the lady that said something about the kid screaming in the store because of no punishment, let me say, I have seen hundreds of parents spank there kids in public and they had to do it 2 , so it didnt work, I nor you have the right to judge forms of disipline. (as long as its not extreme). My son would ask for a spanking instead of going to timeout, or nose in the corner, he hated toys being taking away , spanking is not the only form of punishment
    kellylong78

Answer by kellylong78 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I dont do it bare bottom, but I also dont see anything wrong with it a long as you are in control of yourself
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2011