Does your mom care if it's your birthday?

My birthday was recently and my mom who lives 2 minutes away didn't call or even come over. In fact the only thing I got was a facebook message at 10 pm saying happy birthday.

My MIL and everyone else called or stopped by or went out to help celebrate.As her first child you would think I would be worth a little more thought.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• Usually she'll call, but I wouldn't care if she did or didn't. My mother and I don't have the best relationship...
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 7:17 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• That would be very hurtful, did you tell her how that made you feel? If not you should!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Well, you're an adult. There is no reason that mommy should be going out of her way for your birthday. How old are you? You seem young..

ONE year, a few years back....my mom forgot my birthday completely. But...i am the youngest of 6 kids. It was no surprise to me, nor did it hurt my feelings. Our ego makes us think that we deserve special attention on our birthdays, it's really just another day.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I would love to tell her that she hurt me but it doesn't make a difference. She's been doing stuff like this my whole life.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My mom doesn't call, but next time I see her she hands me a card with some cash. :)

Answer by Bmat at 7:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Samuri- I'm 24 and if this was the only time she didn't bother to make an effort then I wouldn't have minded. However this 1 of several times shehas forgotten or not bothered with something important. Includeing my graduation. But that's not the point. It may not have bothered you and that's great. But my mothermakesa bigdealout ofeveryones birthday. Even the dog gets a cake so for her to just send me a FB message,is kind of hurtful.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My family has never been big on birthdays so you'd think it would be easier. It's not. I think a call would be all that's required when you're an adult. I've always called my parents and stopped in with a gift or card with money. They never acknowledge mine and it's always been an issue for me. I totally get where you're coming from, though you can't change people. She might be going through something and didn't want to talk about it. She might make it up to you later by visiting. Hang in there and happy belated.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 7:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• not really I get a call but that is it. My mil is the one who brings a cake. This year my mom cried she wanted a cookout party (SHE IS 54!!) so I gave her one. She wanted to invite all these people and stick me with the tab so I told her, "you don't even buy me a cake, but I have to have a party for you?!" I am the only child too, and I get $20 only! psst! I gave her $50 plus the party.. she isn't the greatest mom around
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My mom didn't attend my wedding which was 3 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure she will ignore my birthday too.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:40 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My mom makes a big deal about it and I am 33, my feelings would be hurt if she didn't at least call. I would tell her how it makes me feel.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2011