• In the Spotlight:

Proud of your race acceptable unless your white then its racist?

Does anyone else find this is the case? I was brought up white and to proud of it, to never be ashamed of the fact i was white. Yet it seems i get called racist for saying so. For the record, im not racist, i judge on person not colour. What's your opinion on this?

06Lilraysmom

Asked by 06Lilraysmom at 7:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do see where you are coming from. Its a show called black girls rock and I know a show called white girls rock would never be aired. Sounds like double standards. There is nothing wrong with a person being happy with the skin they're in. You're suppose to be and I wish everyone was happy with themselves.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 7:58 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I think it is all a matter of approach. You can be proud of who you are without being over the top about it. I think this goes for all races. I am not going to wear a White Pride shirt and I don't like Black Pride shirts or any other pride shirts. I think with this being America we should get rid of all the "Pride" months and have American Pride month. But that is just me.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:00 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• WTW? Why would anyone be proud of their skin color? There is only one race and that is the human race.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:08 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Where im from (new Zealand) the Maoris can walk around wearing stuff like 'mean maori mean', 'proud to be a maori' etc and if i walked down the street wearing 'proud to be white' or 'white is right' id get my head punched in.. I hate how im made to feel like im inferior because i dont have dark skin, how im not entitled to certain things, dont get jobs and am less better off because of being white,
    06Lilraysmom

Comment by 06Lilraysmom (original poster) at 8:10 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I think instead of being proud of what color skin you are, you should be proud of the HUMAN BEING you are, it does sound racist if you say "I'm white and I'm proud of it", as if saying a different color is less than you, and yes I am white, but most importantly I am proud that I am a human being that pays taxes, raising my kids to be polite and with morals, etc...
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:13 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• There is alot of stigma attached to saying your proud of being white. I am not white, I'm native american. I have never heard my husband say he is proud to be white. I myself, have never said to anyone that I was proud to be native. I just am who I am. I believe that we are just people who all deserve to be treated fairly and equally. I have been on the receiving end of racism and also was taught that I should just stick with my own race. That was wrong. I know that now. I won't teach that to my kids. Love knows and has no color.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 8:17 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I agree with everything you all have said. Just for the record, i dont believe i am better than anyone else, simply because i am white, nor do i believe than anyone should be subject to discrimination based on the colour of their skin. But what i dont believe in, is double standards how it seems to be ok to be proud of your race due to colour, or being entitled to special things such as benefits and healthcare simply because you are from a particular race.
    06Lilraysmom

Comment by 06Lilraysmom (original poster) at 8:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Also as for Maoris or any native people, that pride thing is due to being made to feel less than for centuries. It has taken a long time for natives to bring themselves back up. Growing up I always felt less than because of my color. I do not now, and also don't feel I have to proclaim my race. I am happy to be me. :)
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 8:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Unfortunately the world is not color blind. But being a good person goes a long way in blurring the lines. Black, White, Brown, Golden...Heck you could be Purple your blood still runs red just like mine.

Don't fight ignorance with more ignorance. Being proud of who you are is not shoving it in someones face it is holding yourself to a higher standard and grace and teaching your children and others that we are all just people flawed and unique in our own ways.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:27 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I hate it! AA club, Asian American club, ect in school but when someone made a club for the "white" students 10 years ago the school freaked out and said it couldn't be done. I hate it!

Trying to raise two little girls to be blind to race, sex, religion and "color" (yes that IS different from race) this is the kind of crap that makes me mad. I am constantly called a "White B*tch" or hearing someone call someone else a racial slur that someone of a different background isn't allowed to say! I hate it!!!

Why is it okay for someone to say words that others can not?! Why can we have scholorships for every different background besides the "white" people?  Hypocrite anyone?

zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2011