need some ideas

it is freezing cold in my apt. i have the heat set at 75 but it temp is about 65 downstairs and about 50 upstairs. i have plastic on the windows and put blankets over the kids windows but it is still cold. my unit was built in 2004, i thought sure it would be more insulated than previous house. i cant afford to turn the heat up any higher. im thinkin about a gettin a space heater but not sure what good it will do...any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Just for Fun

• i had a problem like that in my old house. My infants room was the coldest so I went out and bought a space heater. It's a Honeywell Mini Tower Surround Heater - Charcoal Gray . It's about $30. If it tips over it shuts off!! great for kids. This little baby put out HEAT!! On low, it heated his room to a very comfy temp. I saw no increase in our bill either. Have the unit checked, and the seals around the doors and windows also. Good luck!

just1moment

Answer by just1moment at 6:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I would check the seals on the doors and windows - sometimes the foam padding that surrounds the door jam isn't so great and it can cause a lot of drafts, lowering your temp. Also, maybe roll towels and put them along the edges of the doors.

I know this sounds odd, but also make sure all your vents are open, or, if they are, and nothing you do will warm things up, then maybe close off the vents to some of the rooms and only heat the main ones.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:50 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Something else big that I would do - I would call the landlord and complain to them, have them send someone out to make sure the heater is working properly.

You can also check to make sure the air filters don't need to be changed or that the air intake isn't blocked, because that could affect how well it works.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I like sailorwifenmom's ideas. She seemed to take some right out of my mouth! lol!

As far as space heaters go, it will get very expensive. If you go that route, I would only put a heater in the areas that stay the coldest. At a house I used to live in, we had a wood burning stove, but we ran out of dry wood, so we had to go out and buy about 3 space heaters to keep our living area warm. Our electricity bill was about $400 that month, and even in the summer with the AC running it was normally about $150. So, if you have the extra cash, I would definitely do it. But make sure to try everything else first.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• some utility companies will come out and do assessments for free. See if yours will.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 1:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I would call someone and have them check that your furnance is running properly, they also may be able to caulk any windows not properly sealed, etc. It may cost some now, but will save you more in the long run.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• You could get a couple of electric blankets and sit under those.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• thats a good idea Pnukey but my main concern is my 1 yr old her room is the coldest =( the boys do stay covered at night but she rolls everywhere in her crib
    Anonymous