• In the Spotlight:

Does a speech delay has any conection with OCD

My son has a speech delay, he recently turned 6 last Oct. but he always asked me the same question over and over, it lasts for days. Its pass annoying, its beging to worry me on another level, that brings me to tears, I dont think he can help it, i dont even know if he knows what he is doing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• have you ever had you son tested for anything, have you talked to the doctor yet?
    jkmommy2

Answer by jkmommy2 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My sons both had a speech problem too,we had a speech therapist work with them during school hours. We couldnt understand our boys till after the first and second grade,they struggled with reading writing and math. Your son needs help and lots prayers it will all be okay I promise you'll see. My sons are fine now I can understand their speech perfectly and they are reading very well.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 1:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• It could be he's asking you the same old thing because he cant say anything else?
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 1:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• To the best of my knowledge there isn't a correlation between OCD and speech. However, many delays have a comorbid issues going on. Which simply means when you have one issue you are more likely to have something else as well. OCD: is obsessive thoughts followed by a compulsion to relieve the anxiety related to the thoughts. It doesn't sound like this quite matches up with OCD. I could be wrong but I'm guessing OCD isn't the correct issue to be worring about. It may be that he is practicing and his brain and physical memory need to do it a million times before it becomes something he can do spontaneously. Ask your child's SLP and if you are still concerned about it after that you can always have his school district do a free psychological evaluation. Just put in wrting you want both cognitive and emotional functioning evaluated. IN WRITING or they only test cognitive. It is your right to have it done.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My son is in speech and his physical memory (jaw, tongue, mouth...) all need to practice something at least a few thousand times before he can actually begin to do so spontaneously. It can be annoying. But remember when you have a child who has a delay or special needs that this is just something that is part of their process. Annoying to others but necessary for them. Good luck.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2008