How did you get your kindergardener ready for school?

DD is starting school this year. How soon did you start getting your child in school routine?

tiffany0507

Asked by tiffany0507 at 8:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in

• We did the full bedtime & wake-up routine for 2 weeks. That includes laying out clothes the night before & getting dressed on schedule. Luckily that year he had a uniform so it was more of a routine. He had a laminated wall chart with pictures of what to put on in what order. My son has ADHD & mornings are difficult. I think a minimum of 1 week is good. That is what we will do this summer. He is going into 2nd grade.
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 9:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I think it depends on your child and their experiences. If your child is in daycare all or most of the time, the transition to school probably won't be as challenging as a child who has been home with a parent. Another consideration is if your Kindergarten program is half or full day or alternating or every day.

In terms of educational readiness, preparation for my daughter is already happening just by exposing her to different things. My daughter will be starting next fall so I've got a year to work on a significant life skill that she struggles with. She doesn't eat around other kids which means she will essentially starve herself every day (her program will be full day every day). I will be working on having her out and eating to improve her eating. As well, she'll go into a preschool program starting this fall to help her get ready to a class without me.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Mine went to pre-k so starting kinder was no big deal. We just explained it would be a new school with both big and small kids.

Answer by gemgem at 8:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Kaitlin was in some sort of childcare for a year(give or take a few months). she has been around other kids, that is not an issue. My question was when to start getting her in the bedtime/wake-up time routine?
    tiffany0507

Comment by tiffany0507 (original poster) at 8:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• We have the waking up, getting up, and dressed routine down because she was Pre-K. I've been preparing her for K by doing Hooked on Phonics for K, and we go over our numbers daily. I also bought her a handwriting book, so she can practice some more wrtting her letters.
    MOMof3_28

Answer by MOMof3_28 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2011