American Pride

I come from a racially mixed family. Meaning...my step siblings are from another country, family members are married to members of other races and cultures. But at this point we are all Americans. I have grown up in a town that had a fair mix about it. My point is that I get along with everyone regardless of where they came from.

So my question is...if we are all equal, and we all want to be Americans...then why do we celebrate so many "Pride" months?

I see no problem with being proud of your heritage. But at this point we are all American. None of us were slaves, lived in internment camps, or lost our land. Yes our ancestors did...but we have worked hard for equality. If we all want the same rights then I say we change all those "Pride" months into just one. American Pride Month.

What do you think?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 8:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am mixed so I enjoy being able to have a month to celebrate my Hispanic pride. It helps me to teach my children even more about their culture and how I was raised. I dont see anything wrong with them myself? I do teach them regularly but when the month rolls around they will ask questions and I am able to talk and answer their questions.
    Sure were all Americans but it doesnt mean we have to forget our heritage and culture/.

Answer by gemgem at 8:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Because we are one big ol' melting pot. we aren't just American we are "German Americans" "Hispanic Americans" "African Americans" and so forth.. As a country we don't all want to be just one, we want to be many and this is the price we pay, we have many different months and things to be proud of for being who we are. As for American Pride month.. guess what, it's NEXT month. July 4th we mark our independence once again and are proud to be free from England (and so many others), it doesn't last just one month or one day.. it lasts all year, we fly our flags daily from our homes and offices. Try not to look at the small picture and look at the big picture, right now there are 4 flags i can see from my window that have that beautiful red white and blue blowing in the Texas wind.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:47 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Ok. Then how about addind American Pride month? Because there isn't a pride month for an Irish, Scottish mix.... I am proud to be American. I just think it would be cool if we could all celebrate being American rather than constantly pointing out differences.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Yes, as another poster just pointed out ...we DO have 4th ofJuly which can be a "proud to be American" or an "American Pride" day.
    But, This is an issue I don't spend much time on.
    We can be proud of something , many things anytime.
    But I guess if I was a minority ...or gay...and I was finally being treated with dignity and respect,I might want to have a "PRIDE " day too.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• We are a unique melting pot, where each of our cultures and mores adds a bit of spice. Yet, being homogenized at all times, does not make for a healthy environment. So, we strike out and show our colors. And that is wonderful!

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• technically, there's only room for 12 prideful groups to have a full-month.
    and if we designate each group to a single day, well, we'd fill up on that one, too.

so yeah, i could see your point. however, i'm just me, and i'm happy and proud to wave my American flag, alongside my Arkansas Razorback flag. and honestly, i'm happy to celebrate with anyone else's pride day or month..as long as the festival food is fried, dipped, powdered, frozen, smoked, spun and high-caloric, and readily available at the party. :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Shaken, I agree with you. As one person already pointed out, she uses her month to teach her children about their ancestral heritage and history. Given how little history that is taught about America, I think it would be a good thing.

Minne, I'm an American. I stand behind my country even when it's wrong although I try and change that to something better), I stand behind our military, our history, and I work for it's future. I stand proudly with my hand on my heart for the pledge, the national anthem, etc. I support our COTUS and our laws and fight to try and prevent the changes or allowing others to control them.

And, I've lost count of how many times, just here on CM, that I've been ridiculed and called names for doing these things. Being a proud American should be celebrated as much as any other culture. Surely being American is as deserving of a month as any other culture ... given how unique this country is.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Farmlady, I don't see an issue with your pride. pride is never an issue until it becomes counterproductive, like you standing behind your country when it's in the wrong.

As for American Pride, I've noticed that Americans seem rather prideful of their country every day. It's almost excessive. I see what you mean by celebrating your "togetherness" but a lot of Americans already think they're god's gift to the world. Plus, I think the "melting pot" is a bit of an issue. Why assimilate to the American norm? There are a lot of unique cultures in Canada and the US. I don't understand wanting them to merge. I think separation is important to preserve cultures, as long as passage between them doesn't become an issue.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 11:14 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• well strictly from a Historical pov, its necessary to give each large minority culture a month. otherwise they wouldnt get talked about during school or society near as often as they should be. so much of American history is the going-ons of white ppl (men to be specific) that if we didnt have the different pride months the minority's history would be forgotten. but in Nov we make a point to talk about Native Americans, in February its AAs, and in March its women just to make sure that students get something from these other groups. look at any American history text book and you'll see very little about AAs outside of slavery, very little about women outside of voting rights, and pretty much nothing on Native Americans outside of the trail of tears.

European cultures dont get pride months b/c these white men that make up most of History were from Europe...so in a since its all year long.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• and i celebrate American pride most all the time. i dont need/want it to be confined to only one month. besides most ppl i know use summer as a celebration of America...May has Memorial Day, June has Flag Day, July has the Fourth, & Sept has Labor Day. and ppl use those to celebrate their American Pride.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2011