Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Change car note into my name

Does anyone know if there's a way that I can change a car note out of one persons name and into mine. So that I can take over the payments and trade it in

Answer Question

Asked by 1JLS at 8:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 4 (34 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • You have to get a bank to finance the balance. They will still hold the lien, but itll be in your name and you can make the payments. At that point you can trade it in.

    Answer by gemgem at 8:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

  • You can't just change the name. You will actually have to "purchase" the car.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

  • You will have to go out and get a new loan that is in your name only.

    Answer by slw123 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

  • Is your name already on this car and you need to have someone removed? or are you "buying" it from a family member or what? You need to make sure the DMV, the car insurance place, and the note holder are all okay and on the same page.

    Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

  • I did this when I got divorced, I called the bank, they ran my credit said they could do it as long as my ex signed off. It was really easy.

    Answer by voni681 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

  • Why would you do that? Seems odd to me, anyhoo I'd have to agree with gemgem.

    Answer by tasches at 6:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.