What is the difference between bashing and criticizing?

The word 'bash' gets tossed around here at CM way too much IMO.

What defines bashing? Is it the same as criticizing, and if not what is the difference?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in About CafeMom

• I agree. Bashing consists of personal attacks, criticizing can involve all kinds of issues, maybe it can be "constructive criticism" that contributes something positive to the discussion. Bashing contributes nothing.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:27 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• IMO, bashing is when someone gets personally insulting, uses offensive language, tries hard to make someone look stupid, ganging up on someone & making fun of them & their posts...which i see all the time on here.

Criticizing to me, is a more of an evaluation usually with finding fault or to analyze something & then make a judgement call. Criticizing can turn into a bash..
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• When the topic is not adhered to. DO I do it? Sometimes. But usually insults are sprinkled in between valid, coherent points. But as designed, the target only sees the insult
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• That is a really good question...I think bashing is when you belittle the other person for their own opinions, choices, or belief systems and come across as disrespectful or "high and mighty" so to speak.

I do believe that if a person has a difference of opinion, they can voice it in a way that is respectful and tactful.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 9:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I agree with Heathercurlz and minnesotanice, but there is a lot of "boy that cried wolf" around here with bashing.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Degree and word usage- I also agree with Samurai above-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• adnilm... I'm guilty of the same.
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• to be criticized, one must be open to the honest evaluation of their words (since we're talking internet, and specifically CM), not necessarily their tone, as too many who feel they are being bashed (or those who do the bashing!), seem to be able to read the tone of another. (i know, not possible..but for argument's sake, let's go with it.)
    to be bashed (or be the basher), one has their defenses up from the get go. (see, i think i just assumed i could read tone...KWIM?)

haven't had enough coffee, though, so if i maka no sensa, forgiva me.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:17 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Agree with adn. There are some people that no matter what ? answer, they seem to be unable to stick to the facts or offer a basic opinion. They are the people that feel the need to attach a moniker to each comment. Idiot, stupid, moron, azzhat, dummy....all come to mind. Too bad as those labels just negate their POV, IMO, especially when it is done all.of.the.time.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2011