How have any of you dealt with 18 year old adult children drinking alcohol or smoking marijuana?

And they are still living at home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• i guess i did that when i was 18. But, i was also in college & getting an education, so my mom didn't care too much.

Once college was over, i grew up a bit more & stopped.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:17 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I didn't smoke pot when I was 18,maybe once. But yea I drank. But I never drove when I did.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:19 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• No drugs are allowed in my house. No one is allowed to be drunk or stoned in my house. If they want to do that then I cant stop them they are 18, but they know better than to come home that way. My 19 yr old has shown up drunk at home 2 times since April and I called the police and had them put him in the drunk tank. So that is how I handle it.

Answer by gemgem at 9:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• They wouldn't be allowed to remain in my house with that kind of behavior! End of story!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My rules would be no drugs in my house. As for being drunk, if my kids were in a state, id rather them be at home where i can keep an eye on them rather than at a party or friends house where if nothing happened they would be at risk. In nz, there has been a spate of alcohol related deaths in teens(alcohol poisoning etc) and because of young ones not knowing the right thing to do, these kids have ended up dying. I mean, we may not condone it, but wouldn't you rather have your babies safe? I believe the way around preventing teen binge drinking is them learning to drink responsibly at home. My parents let me drink beer or wine with dinner, maybe a bourbon and coke on special occasions and only with my parents, so when i got older it wasn't such a novelty, and now at 23 i dont drink at all......
    06Lilraysmom

Answer by 06Lilraysmom at 9:45 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• And I have adult children - those are my rules, they haven't broken them because they know I mean business.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:59 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Why do those without adult children answer these questions? Until you are IN the moment, you don't know what you will do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Well if they are still living in your home, you still have a right to set the rules and standards for conduct in your home. But think carefully about how you do it and how you approach it, because very very soon your child is going to be out in the world making decisions for themselves without your input and you should guide them towards using good judgement rather than just lay down ultimatums which only work in the short term.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• There are no drugs allowed at my house. As for drinking I feel differently, although I would not buy alcohol for children (I'm talking adult children) underage, and would not let them have a party at the house, I feel that if you are old enough to die for your country, you should be old enough to have a drink or two. The problem we have in this country is we make it so taboo that children do not learn moderation and when they get to the age that they can drink they get stupid because they never learned to deal with it properly. Of course if it became a problem, out the door they would go. Luckily, they have never given me a problem with it.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I am dealing with this situation right now with my sons. I taught them that any drugs is bad for you and sooner or later it will affect your body. In most states if the kid is 18 yrs old than they are an adult and there is nothing you can do about it but one thing------pray about it and raid their room every chance you get. When you start raiding thier room there is less of a chance that they will be home gettin high. Make sure that you advise the child that sometimes people put stuff in the drug and they need to watch what they ar e doing.
    laticiafg

Answer by laticiafg at 4:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011