Custody Question

My brother has a court date this week to try and regain custody of his 3 year old son. I am being called to be a witness that he is a good father and should be with him rather than the mother that has moved out of state. Im so nervous please help me if you have been through this with what I should say?

greenbeanmoma

Asked by greenbeanmoma at 9:19 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• If you are a witness then they will ask questions. Just be truthful.If they haven't ask you to prepare a statement on your own I'd just wait for the questions. If you have something you want the court to know then make notes to take with you

Answer by admckenzie at 9:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• just be honest and tell the truth.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• just tell the truth. and if you don;t understand the question ask them to verifiy. but i don't think it will be too confusing. you are a character witness so i am sure you will be fine. i never been through it but its just best to tell the truth no matter what.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• You just tell the truth. Judges do know when lying is going on. Also keep in mind you are not the best witness for him. You are related and have in the judges eyes a reason to give him a recommendation. I hope he has other people on the list who maybe dont know him as well or know him from work, and other places who have seen him with his son. I am going through the same and I have 2 relatives and 13 other witnesses who know me from school, after school sports, church and random friends. I also have psych evals, and documentation going back 2 yrs, with photos to match. I am hoping to wipe the courtroom floor with his ass so he can take his toys and go home.

Answer by gemgem at 9:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• OH and if you dont know something dont make it up, just say I dont know. I dont recall.

Answer by gemgem at 9:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Bump
    greenbeanmoma

Comment by greenbeanmoma (original poster) at 9:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I agree...tell the truth. But, also keep your answers short. When you try to go on and on about something, judges tend to think your full of it, and trying to "fluff" your brothers "resume". Also, MAKE SURE youre on the CHILDS side and not your brothers side. You are solely trying to look out for whats best for the child...not help your brother get back at his ex. And as hard as it may be, it helps if you get along with the ex as well. Overall, youre his sister. Any judge is going to know you're going to stand by your brother and make him sound like superman. So if an oppertunity arises for you to make him sound human....TAKE IT. The judge will see that you're not just saying what he wants to hear....you're being honest. GOOD LUCK to you and your brother!
    And remember, its very hard to take custody from the other parent. You cant just prove he's a great parent...or the "better" parent. You HAVE to prove her unfit.
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 9:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2011