Bike carriers are they safe?

We are looking to purchase new bikes and we have a 18 month old we were going to get a behind the biker carrier just looking for info and opinon on the safety of these. any one use them?

MrsMeyers925

Asked by MrsMeyers925 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used one with my son. Although we had an accident on it, he was actually safe. It was my fault, I got off to push the bike over a path of stones and didn't hold onto it the right way to get over the stones and the bike tipped over. The seat kept him from getting hurt.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• They can be dangerous if you buy an old used carrier. Look for a new one that has head protection around the sides and back. Make sure your baby is always wearing a properly fitting helmet. We just bought one and my 12 month old loves it.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• We have a pull behind trailer because we have 2 little ones and it seems very safe - they love it! When my 2 yo was younger we had a seat that fit on the bike in front of my husband - he felt safer with it in front of him instead of behind because he could see him even if I wasn't with him.

Answer by missanc at 3:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• yea but watch them closely
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2011