Which do you think is worse... adult content

Being molested ONCE as a child

OR

Being raped ONCE as an adult?

*I know they both are terrible things, but do you think one would have a bigger toll on life?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 9:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it depends on the individual, and what their personal experience is like. For example, there are different levels of molestation - even if it only happened once. Also, there are different ages, it would depend on who the person who molested you was (which would factor in the level of trust violation as well as physical trauma), who it was that raped you and what the circumstances were there, etc.

But, having had the oh so wonderful experience of having been molested as a child (repeatedly over many yrs), physically abused as a child (again, over many yrs - not the person who molested me), and also having been date raped when I was a Senior in high school, I can say that they are all traumatic in their own way.

To pick would be like saying which is worse, dying because you were bitten in two by a shark, or dying because you eaten alive by piranha....

Both suck in their way, and you can't quantify which is worse...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I would say raped as an adult. Only because your mind is more developed and can wrap around what has happened a little better.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• they are both horrific experiences... looking from the outside in, it's difficult to say which is worse, even if both happened to you, they can seem equally horrific in their own way.... however as a parent...
    given the choice, as a mother, I would rather be raped, then have someone molest one or both of my children. so on that point, it would make molestation of a child worse, than being raped as an adult..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• If the child is young enough, they might forget. As an adult, you don't forget. For me (having been through both) I would say it's better (really hard to use that word, since both are horrible) to go through it when you are young and can forget, but there is no way I would ever wish that on a child.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• That's a hard question. Both can end up with a lifetime of issues. I know a person who will never commit mentally and purposely ruins every relationship because her father did it to her. I don't know of anyone as an adult, but I'm sure its very hard as well.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I was raped as a child and I don't know how it could be much worse than that. I was very young but I remember it and it took a lot of therapy to get passed it. My sister was raped as an adult she recovered much more quickly than I did. As an adult who was well rounded and full of confidence before the rape she had the ability to process eventually what happened and move past it. Being a kid I had no clue what happened and it really changed me as a person. Both are just awful so I am not sure you can compare or should want to.

Anonymous

• Meooma--Well for the sake of the question.. just touched.
    SuperrMommyy

Comment by SuperrMommyy (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Well I obviously didn't post anon.. so you can see who came up with a question like this!

Its just a question..you don't want to answer, don't.

Just wanted to know what people thought.
    SuperrMommyy

Comment by SuperrMommyy (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Who comes up with questions like this?!?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2011