Potty training question... how long to sit there?

DD is 2.5, she has shown interest and will sometimes tell me if she has to poop. As of right now we have the timer set for every 15 minutes but how long should she sit there before she gets up?

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 9:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you're taking her every 15 min, then I wouldn't make her sit more than 1-2 min at each trip to the potty.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 10:03 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• we had it set to 30 minutes and she had accident after accident. so we are trying 15 and will go to 30 once she gets the hang of it in increase the time as she catches on more.
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I would suggest setting her there long enough to eat 2 skittles, or take a peak at a new toy she doesn't get any other time, usually the toy trick works best and by the time they are done fooling with the toy, they have pooped, or don't need too. Approximately 5 minutes, I certainly wouldn't expect a child this small to set still for 15 minutes each potty trip, kwim.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 10:07 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Thank you that sounds about right!
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Jun. 27, 2011