Will I be verbally attacked on cafe mom for asking questions that i need information on?

i ask this question because i am just now coming back to this site after a 5 year break from the site. i was verbally attacked by some moms on here for asking for some information on emos. i didn't understand what an emo was and asked for some information on them so i could understand what my step daughter was talking about and i got called names that were so inappropriate that i just left cafe mom. i got horrible emails so i closed my email account down. i am trying this website again but i am very afaid to ask any questions for fear of being attacked again. i thought this was a place for moms to vent, to ask questions and not be judged, and to get helpful information from knowledgable people that want you to understand and not be ignorant when you are faced with a situation. please someone let me know if i am wrong about what this website is about. i did love cafe mom, now i am alittle afraid of it, should i be?

Mrs.Carr81

Asked by Mrs.Carr81 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in About CafeMom

• ??? Im pretty new here.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 10:03 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I haven't been on here long, however I have seen people that feel the need to attack the asker. I think sometimes it's a lack of empathy, which a lot of young people have these days, and sometimes it's a sense of being better than everyone else. I'm sorry you were treated that way. I do hope you found the information that you were looking for and your situation has resolved. I don't know much about it, but from what I do know, it isn't good.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• yes. be afraid, be very afraid!

you have to use your woman-powers and thicken your skin. no one here can do any lateral damage to you; its the internet, its entertainment (for the most part), and most of the time, if you are offended or attacked, you can simply walk away from the computer. no one is forcing you to stay online, or take their crap.
    IgNOre da H8trz!!
    lol.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:05 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Honey you're always going to have rude people but you should also encounter people who are willing to help and understand. Welcome back. Ingore ignorance and remember shit talkers are everywhere. Hopefully you get the answers you need.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I think that if you toughen up and learn to overlook snarky replies you will be fine. It will also help if you write more succinctly.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 10:06 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Most likely, you were attacked for the WAY you asked the question than for asking the question itself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• first and fore most YES.. you will be attacked! Not everyone shares the same views and there are drama queens out there who feed on making others feel like crap. Being a Mom doesn't always mean the woman has matured past high school and the petty fighting days, everything here must be taken with a grain of salt or a roll of the eyes. You will get some really great advice from Moms and you will get some really bad advice and temper tantrums, take what you like ignore what you don't.

never take it personally because someone behind a computer decided to type some words they wouldn't ever say in real life. If you open a can of worms on a heated topic be ready for the claws to come out and grab a bowl of popcorn or close the question and move on.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:07 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• dang..i can't even text-speak correctly.

*H8rz!*
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:07 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I love CafeMom.

There are some days, that it seems as f we're all PMSing...there are days when people are nice. I try my best to ignore some questions. There are some questions i will not answer because i know there will be drama.

No, don't be afraid. Come play with us. We're not all that bad, some of us are really awesome & do try to give you the best answer we can give so we can help you.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• yes...then internet has always been like that. Some people feel real safe and secure behind a computer screen. Which is a very naive notion considering what hackers/crackers and people who know virus can do to someone. Thing is to not let it get to ya. Walk away. Think something sarcastic or funny about the person on the other end. Picture the lady that bashes you as being 400lbs sitting around in a big moomoo dress picking her nose. While she's got that sexy siggie on her replies. She wishes!
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 27, 2011