Is there such a thing as a high functioning drug addict?

Just saw a snippet of a program about people who work full time, pay all their bills, do all the things 'normal' people do, except they are addicted to drugs. Disaster waiting to happen or a sustainable 'hobby'? What do you reckon?

06Lilraysmom

Asked by 06Lilraysmom at 11:17 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Health

• Sustainable, depending on the type of drug and how often it is used.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• yes i think there is such a thing as a high functioning drug addict . whoppi goldberg said that she did drugs for years and no one knew. she showed up to work on time, the drug habit didn't affect her daily routine.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Well look at Charlie Sheen-coke addict yet he always showed up for work on time!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Yes. I've known people who take meds that would knock out a horse but has no effect on them. Yet they are able to work, drive, etc. Not saying they aren't slowly killing themselves. They need it to function. That is more of a dependency issue than an addiction. Either way, they are abusing something.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• agreed with the above, also my ex husband was for year and I guess he still is. IDK.
    babyhuey2

Answer by babyhuey2 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Is knowing what drug really important? I mean, if these people continue to function as normal members of society, what does it really matter if they're hurting noone but themselves?does social stigma of drugs put everyone who uses drugs in the' crazy, brainless,filthy looking, crime commuting' basket? Even though drugs are illegal.
    06Lilraysmom

Comment by 06Lilraysmom (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I look at it like this, would you want your surgeon to be the "high functioning drug addict"? How about your kid's bus driver? Or your boss? Even if these people are high functioning, they are going to crash someday. Not to mention, the fact that they are using illicit drugs speaks to an overall lack of judgement on their part. Drug use isn't really a problem, it's a symptom of emotional retardation, or emotional pain at the very least.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I've known quite a few drug addicts, including my father, sister, husband (in recovery 4 years), sister-in-law and brother-in-law. Some high function, others not so much. My father & BIL haven't been able to hold down jobs in years and can barely care for themselves. My sister works for a school 60+ hours a week, pays all her bills, keeps her home cleaned and lives a "normal" life. My SIL chooses not to work because she would rather sit on Welfare, but easily could be working, but her house is cleaned, her kids are cleaned and cared for and so on... My husband was and wasn't functional, it depended on the "drug." When it was just alcohol or weed, he was very functional, but Xanex completely shut his life down!

Not all drug addicts are doing something illegal either, people forget that! Many are addicted to Rx meds and are able to seem completely normal. It doesn't make them less of an addict!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My dad is a high function drug addicted. Most times we are not even sure when he stopped or not. One sign for us is when my dad had his own business and a lot of the money we were getting in went missing. So now I barely bother with him. He is also lies most of the time about everything. Also my husband's childhood friend is a pill popper that has a good job, maintains a nice townhouse in a rich town, and has 2 expensive cars. You could still tell how it messes up his life. He is 30 with no girlfriend and when he does get a girl they're are usually drug addicts themselves. Sooner or later it gets bad for them.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• A lot of addicts manage to do this for many years.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2011