What do you think of parents who...

Take their young kids to inappropriate movies? I often think parents that do this do it because they want to go to the movie no matter what - but I'm thinking "get a babysitter" whenever I see this.

When I saw Hangover II, there was a family there with young kids (I'd say probably between ages 5 and 8). For anyone who's seen either Hangover movie, or just knows what it's about, you'd know it's NOT for kids.
Last night we went to Bad Teacher, which has a LOT of f-bombs AND some nudity... and someone was there with what looked like a 6 year old! I couldn't believe it. I mean... even my three year old listens and repeats things without knowing what they might mean.

What do you think of parents who do that?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• It bugs me when I see this, I think man if you had that much trouble finding a sitter then go another a day! I was at a movie (can't remember which one) but it had a lot of sex and whatnot in it, there were at least 3 or 4 families there with little kids that were old enough to hear what they were saying and I can only imagine what kinds of questions those parents got when they got home.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I think its their own decision.. I wouldn't take my child to a movie with nudity, but some parents do.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I don't see the issue with taking kids to see Hangover II besides the fact that I feel movie theaters are to loud for children's ears! But as long as the child isn't being exposed to porn or being forced to sit through a movie that scares them shitless, I don't see an issue. It's up to the parents what their child can and can't see. My kids are 4 & 5 and have seen the first Hangover, I can't imagine the second one would be bad.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• There is a reason that kids are not allowed to get into a PG-13 or R rated movie without parents - because there are things in those movies that young kids shouldn't be seeing. I think it's wrong. I try to shield my kids from that and keep them children as long as I can.

Answer by missanc at 12:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I think it is awful. I know a couple who let they're children watch anything on tv. They're daughter watched so many scary movies since she was 5 that she is still scared of the dark and needs to turn on every light in the house and she is 12 now! Also my nieces have seen the Hang over and they have a poster hanging in they're room. They are 9 and 12. I think parents need to censor what they're kids see and listen to when they are young.

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I don't approve, but basically it's their kids and their decision. As long as the kids are quiet in the theatre, I don't really care.

We trade off babysitting with another group of parents. Also, we live with my MIL and she is great to watch my son for us sometimes if we ask. I know not everyone can do this, but if you hook up with your friends, watch their kids while you see a movie one night, and then vice versa, you save a ton on babysitting. It works out great for us!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I would NEVER take my child to see hangover ll but everyone parents in theirs own way and if they dont have a problem with their kids seeing in then greats for them
    Rydersmom95

Answer by Rydersmom95 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• i wouldnt do it after a certain age. when my oldest was a infant she went with us when we saw resident evil (she slept in the carrier the whole time). thankfully we have a drive-in nearby so we can see movies, and not worry since the girls will fall asleep (although we have yet to see a movie that we think is inappropriate for them). otherwise i would just wait. but for the most part i dont enjoy those movies anyway. i wish parents would research and judge a movie based on the maturaty of their child and not drag their kids to adult movies for the kids to turn around and repeat the stuff in front of other kids whose parents havent even approached those topics yet.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Honestly, I try not to think too much about what other parents do.

On the other hand, there is a movie rating system for a reason and whether or not my 9 year old is happy about it, DH and I use those ratings (and our homework) to decide if it's something he ought to be viewing regardless of what some friends of his do. There are things that are simply not age appropriate for a young child to be viewing and as parents, its our job to decide where that line sits for our kids and how we're going to apply it. There are some that move that line a lot of farther out than I do. there are others that keep it a LOT closer in than I do. To each her own.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I haven't seen young kids in R rated movies (though it's been awhile since I've been to an R rated movie) The theater I go do has a policy that they don't let kids 6 and under into R rated movies after 6 pm.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2011