Do I have a right to be uspet with my daughter's father?

He was supposed to pick my daughter up at 10 this morning, I had to call and wake him up at 9:30. He didn't get here until 11:30. He only keeps her maybe one or two nights a week. Today is his only day off this week to keep her, and he says he can only keep her until 6:30 PM because it's him and his girlfriends "one month anniversary" and they have plans. Are you serious? I have her constantly and I need a break once in a while. Am I overreacting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd be pissed, but not as much for my schedule as I would be for the emotional baggage he's creating for the little girl. She's going to grow up knowing exactly where she is in his priority list.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Maybe you should have a talk with him about helping you out more? I understand that you need a break but sometimes guys don't get it.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Yikes! I have a hard time answering questions when mothers "need a break" I've been a mother for 26 years and have not needed a break from my children and I still have one at home. I even home school so don't "have a break." The way you pose the question actually sounds very selfish. Instead of being worried about your daughter being able to spend time and know her dad, it sounds all about you. Of course it sounds like he is also being selfish, not picking her up when he is supposed to and then dumping her for someone else. He could reschedule his little "date." You both need to sit down and talk and straighten this out or your daughter is going to learn to be selfish herself. I would not put up with the showing up when he wanted. If he didn't show on time, except for an emergency, I would tell him that he blew the visit and it would have to happen next time.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I am with the last Mommy I would be upset but not for the reasons that you are. I would be disappointed that he does not value the time he spends with your little one. I don't really think that you should look at it at loosing time to yourself but gaining time with your baby, his loss your gain. I don't quite understand the needing a break either.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:37 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I have had a talk with him but he just doesn't care. I'm sorry you never need a "break" but everyone's child is different and everyone's tolerance level is different so please don't call me selfish. I DO care about her seeing him, but it seems like he would rather be with his girlfriend then later blame me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It's unfortunate that you picked this man to be your daughter's father. Be upset all you like. You cannot change his behavior.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2011