You have got to be kidding me...

I know of a woman that says that taking a toy away from a child is "child abuse" because it makes them cry. Where do we draw the line? That is a bit extreme! If my child is not listening or following rules I will take their toy away, it is not child abuse, it a consequence! Many things make kids cry, doesn't mean they are being abused, it means they are kids when they don't get their way they cry. Why would someone even think that something like taking away a toy could even be considered child abuse?

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 11:33 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• That is ridiculous, when an adult doesn't do something they are supposed to they often end up loosing things. If an adult decides they don't wanna work, they loose things that they cannot pay for. Its not child abuse, its teaching your child something they will have to know how to deal with as an adult. In school, kids that don't do well in class aren't eligible for sports. Thats just how life works. I honestly think not teaching your child about consequences for their actions is doing a disservice to their kids. It is better that their parent who loves them and can help them understand why they had to loose something than waiting till they are an adult and don't understand because it was something not taught to them. I know everyone has their own opinions on how to do things but that is a little extreme.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• eye rollingOH my... good luck to her with that one!! Her kids will be terrors I'm thinkin'!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It's just an opinion. Some people consider 'spanking" abuse. I consider it parenting when needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• wow, she would be having fits in my house then. for our two older girls that is the main punishment! works great to and no yelling or hitting needed (which keeps my stress level down to). i would just ignore her.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Later in life most kids tell their parents thank u for the rule they had to follow and the discipline they gave. It is sad these days how kids run the parents I know if I ever spoke to my mom the way kids do these days I would have been slapped in the face. That's what is wrong with kids now days no discipline. I dont spank my daughter but I do discipline and she is a great kid even at 9. I would ignore the lady and don't worry about Cps if u don't do anything wrong ur good to go.
    Daisysjewels

Answer by Daisysjewels at 1:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Wow. Sounds like something a parent that spoils they're kid would say!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I agree, this woman actually threatened to call CPS on a friend of mine for taking a toy away from her child. I know CPS would not do anything about it. It just makes me wonder what her children are going to turn out like, she obviously doesn't give them any consequences when they don't behave.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I would certainly not want to be around her or her kids when they are teens. She is only setting herself up for far worse as they get older. My dh and his sister never had consequences for bad/negative behavior growing up and now they think they are above rules and think they are entitled to do whatever they want. Needless to say, we have had problems with that, and I am trying to teach our children differently!
    If crying really was abuse, I would have been in jail LONG ago, mine cry all the time for nothing. And I do take things from them as punishment. Children need boundaries and punishment for negative behavior.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 11:49 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Wow, I hope her kids are naturally very, very good, because they're not learning limits at home.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:59 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• shit.. makes you want to call cps on her for neglecting her childs mental and emothional well being.. lol kidding kinda..

kids have to have some boundaries somewhere.. taking a toy is a logical consequence..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2011