Husband vs teenage girl!

I had my niece this weekend who is 13, my kidas are not even close to becoming teens. She goes back and forth between her mom and dad. Thursday night her my husband and her mom all sat down and agreed she would not talk to her dad on the phone while she is at our house she can text but thats it, thats because she will talk to her dad all day, and my husband wanted to spend time with her and for her to spend time with her sisters and my kids. Well Sunday she called her dad and kicked all the kids that were playing in my dd bedroom out so she could talk to him on the phone. I went in there and asked her to come out to the livingroom she told me no I am on the phone, my husband went in there and told her to get off her phone and she told him no as well then he kept asking her to get off the phone, then he went from asking to demanding it, all she kept saying was no I am on it. so then they started yelling at eachother, he told her sorry at the end of it and everything. well after the mother came to pick her kids up she talked a little to me (which she had already spoke to her daughter about what happened) then my husband tried to call her twice last night and then texted her to see what was happening. No answer. this morning she was suppost to bring her girls over for me to watch, and no show and then I texted her to see if I still need to pick the one that is at school up. and no response. So now my husband and I are being punished for her daughter not listening, she goes back in a few weeks so now I have to tell my kids because her mother wants to give her everything and let her get away with everything we can not see her, I am guessing since no response from my SIL! How do you handle a Teen that does not do the 1 thing you ask of her that was her only rule. then she is talking back.

SkylaReneeMom

Asked by SkylaReneeMom at 11:33 AM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Unfortunately she isn't your child so there isn't much that you can do. First of all I find it a little strange that she talks to her father that long. That's not very normal for a child this age. Secondly, if the children come over again, I would tell SIL that if the rules are set between y'all, they will have to be followed or the children will not be welcome in your home. If she gets away with this, she will be pushing it until she is getting away with much worse. And you don't want that in your home or in front of your children. Thirdly, your DH should not have apologized. He was following a rule that was set forth and he was not in the wrong, even if there was a screaming match. HE was the boss, not the child.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I think kids should always be allowed to talk to their parents.

I'm sure her DD made it seem a lot worse than it really is...but, it could be something else. Don't jump to conclusions until you finally get to talk to her.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:57 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I am a little confused...you SIL set the rule but because you tried to enforce the rule she deems you as the bad guys? I would just let her cool off I guess, and once she does I would explain where you guys are coming from. I would let her know that while her daughter is in your house and under your care that there are rules and there are consequences to breaking those rules, if her mom has a problem with that, she doesn't need to bring her over.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• IDK. sounds like alot of drama, and I would just not call her anymore,, she will need something from you soon enough, and when she decides to call you, perhaps you can get it all straightened out then.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• i'd have taken the phone from her.. screw asking for it... cant do what your told then you dont get the phone..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Wow! WHO is the teenager in this post?? Your SIL is being petty in expecting you be her enforcer.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Well see the rule was made because when she is at her fathers she is only allowed to talk to her mother but the court papers which is once a week, so thats why the rule was made for her not to be talking to her father, and when she does it she can when her mother is off work
    SkylaReneeMom

Comment by SkylaReneeMom (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I don't understand your last paragraph, but how sad that this girl has to sneak around so that she can talk to her father. what's up with that? I'd get it if she were talking to a boyfriend or her friends.
    I understand that you want your niece to spend time with you and your children when she visits. Is there no way to compromise?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2011