Is spanking appropriate for an 18 month old?

My mother doesn't like the fact that I spank my 18month old when she does something that can either harm her or break something else. I get the response she is only 1. It's not like I do it out of anger or that it is hard and going to hurt her. I have tried smaking the hand but it is not working. Any ideas???

newmommy61207

Asked by newmommy61207 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A swat on the butt is definately okay. If you are talking about more than that, I really wouldn't recommend. I always found a simple swat on the butt did the trick.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I popped my kids on their butts and sometimes on their hands not hard just enough to get their attention when I told them no over and over.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• yea a swap on the butt should help
    deannap64

Answer by deannap64 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I don't think it's right to do in an 18 month old, myself. It's only going to teach that hitting is okay. They won't understand why you're doing it.

The one time I swatted my 16 month old's hand for doing something dangerous, I felt horrible about it. His little face crumpled like "how could you do that, mommy?" Plus afterward I noticed that he started hitting me and his brother when he was angry.

Now I do *occasionally* spank my 4 year old - he understands. But an 18 month old won't. Calm redirection and distraction should work much better.
    Abqmomof2

Answer by Abqmomof2 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• For my 18 mth old a smack on the hand works just fine, but if it's not working in your cse I agree with a little distraction. I do that sometimes when he's just being stubborn and usually he'll forget what he was after and play toys.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My son is 18 months old and he gets a swat on his diaper butt when we've told him no and removed him from the situation and he still goes back.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 2:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My son is 16 months old and usually distraction does the trick, but when it doesn't, he gets his butt smacked, or his hand. He gets the point that he isn't supposed to do whatever it is he was doing. And he doesn't hit back or other people. Neither did any of my other kids, and its the same method I used on all of them.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My son is 19 months old, and we do "time-outs" that work really well. I have swatted his diapered bum, not hard at all and I only swat it once- but it didn't even work, he thought it was funny!! However, if you are talking about spanking hard, on a naked bum, with a lot of swats, no I do not think that is age appropriate at all.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 2:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• No, it's NOT appropriate for an 18-month old. They're still little enough that they're just learning the ins and outs. There are a lot more appropriate ways to redirect and discipline.
    They're at an age, too, where they don't understand that hitting hurts other people, so when you hit them, they aren't going to be able to understand why they get in trouble for hitting, when you do it.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I wanted to clarify that I never spank her bare bottom there is always a diaper and clothes, she doest hit in return. I dont do this often but if she is going to hurt herself and telling her no and smaking her hand doesnt work what are the other options?
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2008