What to do with a Spirited child?

I have a 13 year old DD that seems to be going on 30! She has to have the last word in everything!

blessmeplease

Asked by blessmeplease at 12:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• This WILL pass. You are the fence that protects her, however, SHE needs to come to the conclusions (ultimatetly) because we want them to mature. Be on the sidelines, but post the game rules. In life, there is always a reaction to an action. A contract mutually signed and centrally posted works. Believe it or not, she's listening. Make those words short, sweet and to the point. Say "I Love you" often and...This will pass.
    TheRagLady

Answer by TheRagLady at 9:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• end everything with- one more word and your grounded a day for every word that comes out of your mouth and for every muffled one gets you a week..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• You take privileges away. If she has a cell phone, take it. Remember that you are the parent and that if she has to have the last word, so be it. Turn and walk away - pick your battles. Having the last word is just her way of trying to feel out your limits for her. She's a teenager and going through puberty.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Thank you Ladies! On the other hand she has came a LONG WAY from over 2 years ago. I left our Abuser in 2/09. The girls were so introverted, (I have 2 in my custody and sadly my son went back to his Dad) my spirited DD would run out of the house in a heart beat! She was always in a foul mood or so it seemed. I see so much of her Dad in her that at times it is scary.

Of course I know in my heart it is also puberty and we are in a BIG transition due to me meeting someone new and conceiving a baby together, whom both girls adore. Starting all over has been hard, but I know she is happier and we are all better then we were with they're Dad.

Thanks again for the great advice!
    blessmeplease

Comment by blessmeplease (original poster) at 7:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2011