Why does the court system automatically think mothers are better at raising kids than fathers ?

i just don't get it. majority of the time women get custody of the kids. i think the custodial parent should be based on the merits of the parent- not the gender of the parent.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think that it maybe because majority of the time the mothers are the ones that actually want to keep the children.
    atmselvie

Answer by atmselvie at 12:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• They assume that Mothers have a stronger bond with kids because they carried them for so many months while pregnant..
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• its called "the other set of books" and what it is are the policies and procedures of the court system from the police all the way to the judge they are not the laws (they dont break them though) they are how that county interprets laws and how it enforces them. in some places unless there is abuse by the mother there is no way for the father to get custody.

takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 12:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I agree with you. There was a time that mother's were better at raising children than the fathers. Typically then mother's stayed at home and their first priority was the children. Although their first priority may still be the children, women are more involved in going to work, and dating now than they were years ago. Some people just aren't cut out to be parents, period. But the law tends to still side with the mother feeling that she can give the nurturing that the father may not be able to give. I don't believe in "it's not fair" but I do think that it isn't fair to the children, they need what is best.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• You definitely have a point here. From what I understand, more fathers nowadays are getting custody over the children. I personally know more fathers that have their children than mothers.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 12:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I agree and I also think it has to do with how old and what sex the kids are.. I think a teenage boy is better off with his father (if the father is as qualified). I think the courts should look at all aspects not just sex. But if both are even I always still would vote that younger kids go with momma the majority of the time.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I think more often these days it is based on merit and not gender.

Answer by missanc at 12:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Women are more nurturing than men any day, this is why it is done, and the child tends to need them more than their fathers. It is not based on gender but looking out for the best interest of the child.....

Answer by older at 12:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• i dont think the mothers should alwasy get the custody bc in some sitautions the fathers are better fit to raise them....no matter if the mom carried them for 9 months......
    alw06tchs

Answer by alw06tchs at 4:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It isn't based on the gender.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2011