Shih-tzu owners

i have a 3 year old white shih-tzu with "shit stained" hair on his face. i have not had him that long( he was a rescue), and am wondering if there is something I can do to fix this problem.. any advice?

Wanabmommy

Asked by Wanabmommy at 12:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Pets

• Hello, the best doggies in the world, My currednt shitzu is grey, but honestly the only thing that worked on my old dog was to keep him really trimmed around the face, I tried brightening shampoos and everything, and it was just easier to keep him cut close. He lived to be 21, and it took me until he was about 8 to stop fighting with it,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Its really normal and sounds like allergies his previous owners never took care of. They get allergies bad. Take him to the vet first and see about eye drops usually that causes it, and his sounds really neglected. I would also go to the groomer and have them shave down that area so when you use the medication on him itll be ok. He may also need antibiotics if its that bad. I have bred and raised this breed most of my life.

Answer by gemgem at 12:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I have heard of some sort of medicine that you can get that brightens the "tear stained eyes", but i'm not sure if it works because I don't know anyone who has used it before. And No, the previous owners could not afford to feed him so he was skin and bones when we got him, now almost a year later he is healthy and lively as ever.. i agree, he is the best dog i have ever owned! he does not bark at other people, dogs, visitors.. nothing. he like to play "hide and seek" with hubby, it's so cute. I do believe he has alergies because he sneezes all the time. I was told to give him 1/4 of a benadryl by the vet and it seems to help with the sneezing, but not the tears or the hair color.
    Wanabmommy

Comment by Wanabmommy (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I guess I should have added about the allergies, but my dog always had runny eyes, and the vet gave him benadryl, but my current one has the runny eyes as well, you just can't see it on grey hair, and it comes clean, the shampoo for tear stains seemed to bother max (the old dog) I do use wipes they make for my current dog, and that seems to keep it a bay better.. I would go and talk to your groomer!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• they have a tear stain solution at the pet store
    pipsqueak01

Answer by pipsqueak01 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• We wiped the area with a damp cloth a few times a day or when we noticed leakage.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Shit -stained is RIght! I've never liked this about certain dog breeds. The nasty color of the facial hair drives me nuts. It smells, it looks nasty and I've just shyed away from certain breeds that are really cute because of this problem. My BIL family has Schnauzers and same problem. They hate it but around the mouth always looks like they just finished with the food bowl full of gravy or something. Yuck! Keep that face away from mine, LOL.
    Anonymous

• I love my dog to death whether he has shit stained hair or not.. i was just asking for advice anon about how to bleach or clear up the hair..
    Wanabmommy

Comment by Wanabmommy (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Melaleuca dog shampoo works wonders.

There is some purple fur whitener at pet stores. It works, but my hands are cracked due to bad chemicals and I can't imagine putting it on my Guy's little face.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 6:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2011