Breast feeding

Help.... My son is 2 weeks old, and I can't put him down. He freaks out the second he's out of my arms. Any advice would be helpful. I was wondering if perhaps this has something to do with my exclusive breast feeding. I was thinking of maybe giving him formula @ night.

luv77

Asked by luv77 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• keep breastfeeding, and keep your SO in the loop with holding him/caring for him. let the baby be used to him, as well as you. this is normal behavior, and i would not switch to formula, that is not a good solution for your problem.

but all the baby books tell you babies will cry, so it shouldn't be such a shock. i would be patient with this
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• This is normal....that baby is used to being held and toasty 24 hours a day. This is how you build you milk supply.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Infants need to be held, whether they are breast or formula fed. If you do use formula occasionally, you need to pump during those feedings so that your body still gets the signal that it needs to keep making milk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Formula won't help with him wanting to be held. They like being held. You could try, if you need some time to yourself... a nice snug swaddle and a swing.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I was going to say try to get him really tightly swaddled. they are used to being tighly warm in your belly. They love a good swadle.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 3:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• my daughters 2 weeks old too and does the exact same thing, i just pick her up nurse her until she falls asleep then lay her down sometimes it takes awhile thought with the back and forth. You can also try the swaddling thing to that sometimes works with her but sometimes it just makes her mad. good luck!
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 4:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Oh don't give that baby formula just because he is upset and wants you to hold him! :*(
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I don't know if you have a baby swing but they work wonders. Both my kids were like that but when I put them in a swing that goes side to side they would sleep for about 3 hours. It will give you a break.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 4:10 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Congratulations on a perfectly normal child! =o) Babies need to be held. The warmth and closeness of your body reminds them of the womb, the place they were just in. I strongly suggest purchasing a sling. That way, your baby is close to you and you can get stuff done around the house.

ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2008