Is there a "safe" amount or type of seafood that is okay to eat?

I'm not pregnant yet, but I'm treating myself like I am while TTC. I'd hate to do anything harmful to my baby before I realize he or she is even there! So... When vacationing at the beach, where seafood is EVERYWHERE, is there anything on the menu that is okay for me to eat if I were pregnant? I've been told fish contains mercury and is a "no no." What alternatives whould you suggest?

Ash09855

Asked by Ash09855 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No shellfish

Answer by admckenzie at 12:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I ate crablegs almost my whole pregnancy with my oldest child and he is very intelligent and very athletic and very healthy. My other boys I read about it but everything is different for everyone. My suggestion would be no raw fish.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• You can eat pretty much anything in moderation. I think you can eat seafood 2 times a week. There are certian fish that contain more mercury than others. Do a google search for a list.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• i am actaully scraving seafood! lol i stay away from too much tuna, and dont eat shark which both have high counts of mercury in them
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• You can eat just about any seafood. But not to much. I believe you can eat seafood 2 -3 times a week. It actually has some vitamins that you need, that help babys brain grow and what not. Just dont over do it.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2011