Is it normal for a 2 1/2 yr old to be biting her nails?

I have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter and just noticed that she has been biting her nails lately it started this week. Is this normal? I should I be concerned

Emilyrose200809

Asked by Emilyrose200809 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No need to concerned. The more you point it out, the more she will continue to bite them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• both of my kids bite their nails. have a 3 yr old and 6 yr old
    tiffany0507

Answer by tiffany0507 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My son is not quite 2 yet and he's been biting his so bad his lost his pinky nail about a month ago. It scares me. And all my doc said was to try the stuff that tastes bad that you can put on his nails. I dont know...but very curious to hear other peoples advice!!!
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 12:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I would just keep them trimmed short and leave it be. If it becomes a persistent habit, like in a few months she has not passed through the phase, I would start trying to break her of it. I am 30 and STILL can't stop biting my nails. I WISH my parents had tried.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• People and children usually bite nails for these reasons: nervousness, inability to handle stress, boredom or hunger

I do not know you child, but you could start with those things and see if it is something you can cure.

To help her from biting, keep her mouth busy with healthy snacks....carrots are a good choice! just leave snack around for her to munch on or hand it to her if she starts biting.

Another good thing to do it to get them started on a hobby that involves the use of your hands. Art, Music, Dance is good!

Fun tip: Playing a Instrument and Dance use all of your 4 brain lobes and helps children build stronger connections in their brain. You have the ability to form your child's brain until age 6.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Um I meant to say "adults and children" lol

duh children are people!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• nomal
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Thank you ladies for all the comments this is all new to me. But I got some ideas now and I will try them
    thanks
    Emilyrose200809

Comment by Emilyrose200809 (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2011